The concept of turning machinery is very old, in fact the turning machines of today borrow their principles far back in time all the way to ancient Egypt where in several archaeological digs.
- The basic tools that perform turning functions have been discovered to exist even in those times for the construction of the great pyramids, however modern turning tools is a necessity to the workforce.
- The Turning based tools are a product of precision engineering and the modern turning tools are designed to not only cut but to also provide the finishing for the product.
- It basically involves a rotary fixed cutting tools which as a linear motion unless its joined on a series of robotics to provide circular or hyperbolic motions as well, this type of motion is more common in the Computer Numeric Control or CNC turning.
Purposes served by a turning machine:
Out of the different types, each turning machine serves a different purpose with respect to function, which mainly depends upon how it is to be used by the user, the turning is done more in what is known in the technical jargon as a lathe which is the process of turning which requires the constant supervision to help ensure a fine and proper cut. However to do so on a human level is extremely difficult, especially on the grounds of constant supervision which is why the computer system is required to keep a proper track on the turning activities being performed by the machines. Lathe turning can also be done on the old traditional method without any machinery, however its time consuming nature has lead to its decline.
Simple and basic process:
CNC Turning is a fairly basic and simple process; it simply involves the cutting tool, which is affixed to a mount, which in turn is connected to the mechanism which spins the material at a very high speed and brings it in contact with the cutting tool therefore fulfilling its purpose. The use of Computer aided designs (CAD) is followed with each turning operation and provides the instructions to the computer, which in turn relays information regarding the depth of the cut and the type. The final cut can be as approximate to nano-meter level as per the CAD design applied to it. Turning operations themselves can be classified into several different types which can be stated as below and that are helpful in varied industries:-
- Tapered Turning
- Spherical generation
- Hard Turning
- Polygonal Turning
5 things that you must know about CNC turning machines before you buy them:
- You will find that there are certain materials which cannot be performed on both horizontal and vertical basis. So when you are using the material, you must ensure that they withstand the turning pressure and the stress related to the turning process.
- Those machines which have hydraulic turrets cannot perform as much better as that of the CNC milling machines.
- Opt for all new models which have ergonomic type of coolant tanks.
- Find out machines which have CNC turning that can facilitate multi-tasking.
- You need to buy all those CNC turning machines which can be operated with the minimum maintenance cost.
The CNC Turning machinery will then be programmed according to the material being cut and the necessary cooling power to be supplied to prevent the machine from overheating and causing problems. With Turning, many industries are benefited a lot and are useful for mankind. Turning is one of the biggest driving forces of civilization’s progress and will continue to advance over centuries.
The blog has been written for reader to provide useful information about CNC Turning. Still want to know more then let’s go the details and get more info on it.