It is always surprising, though perhaps due to the frequency it shouldn’t be, when I encounter dodgy home done, DIY electrical work.
I often wonder what people are thinking, when they surely understand that the electrical cables to their mains power carries enough voltage and amperage to kill you…
Yet never the less I regularly find home jobs that have not been isolated properly, not used the correct gauge electrical wire (seriously, it may be ok for your home elctronics kit or for your car, but not all electrical cable is made equally!)
Not only do loose or exposed wires pose a serious health threat for when someone comes too close to them or makes contact with them, they also stand a pretty good chance of burning your house down.
In most regions of the world it is actually illegal to do your own electrical work, for the very reason that when it is not done properly it does come with significant and very real problems and potential danger down the track!
Just the other day I was doing a building inspection in Adelaide, and I found a very disturbing situation in someone’s roof space.
There was a corner of the building in which someone had clearly installed an air conditioner themselves. The wiring was not sealed correctly and there were loose wires going all over the place. I couldn’t help but assume that whoever id the installation must have been intoxicated, or at least half asleep.
Th biggest problem here though, was not that someone may accidentally come into contact with the wires. As being in the roof space it wasn’t the most easily accessible area.
The biggest problem was the fact that there was a small opening in the roof space near it which was allowing dry leaves and other organic materials to come in and rest near the poor electrical work.
It would not take much for the improperly installed wires to arc and actually set alight to the dried leaves and other ‘fuel’ which was inconveniently right next to it.
I guess the main thing I am trying to say, is that if you think it may be a good idea to save some money and not call in a professional electrician, for the love of all that is holy, change your mind now!