If you own or manage a business in Perth and don’t conduct drug testing of your workforce, you should be. But don’t take our word for it. Take a look at Australian statistics for drug use and misuse and it’s easy to see that drug testing in Perth workplaces is an absolute necessity.
The following statistics come from the Drug Info website and include ages 14 and over:
• While the use of drugs such as amphetamines and cocaine is a major concern, alcohol is our most widely used drug. It’s not just a young person’s issue, however. These days, the age group with the greatest number of people who drink daily is 70 and over.
• The use and misuse of alcohol is responsible for more deaths than motor vehicle accidents every year.
• When it comes to illicit drugs, cannabis is the most widely used. Close to 35% of Australians have tried cannabis at least once.
• Around 11% of Australia’s population have tried ecstasy at least once and 2.5% have used in the past year.
• The percentage is slightly lower for cocaine, with 8% having tried the drug at least one time, while 2.1% have used it in the last 12 months.
• Methamphetamines and amphetamines, including ICE, grab a lot of attention in the media because its side effects are often far greater than any other illicit drug. Statistically, methamphetamines and amphetamines are still used less than cannabis, ecstasy and cocaine, with 7% of people having tried the drug and 2.1% having used in the past year.
While these statistics are concerning, what should be more alarming, and highlights the need for drug testing in Perth and other workforces throughout the country, is the relationship between drugs and the workplace:
• Surveys have shown that around 20% of people – that’s one in five – have been absent from work after over-drinking alcohol.
• The same number have admitted to going to work while drunk or affected by alcohol.
• 2% of people – that’s one in 50 – confess to going to work affected by drugs.
• 10% of employees say they have suffered negative effects (accidents, near accidents, need to cover for a colleague, abuse) due to fellow employees being affected by alcohol or drugs.
So, if you’re a business owner or manager in Perth, Western Australia or Australia, it’s time to get your head out of the sand and implement random drug testing in your business.
NOTE: Integrity Sampling conducts drug testing Perth and more than 30 locations throughout Australia.
To know more about our company’s drug and alcohol testing in Perth visit http://integritysamplingaust.com.au/contact-us/western-australia/perth-drug-alcohol-testing/