Kitchen is the most important part of a house. It is the place of cooking and bonding hence should be spacious to accommodate the accessories and facilitate the interaction among family. Unlike the traditional idea of kitchens considered merely a room that has the stove for women to cook, the modern houses boast of energy efficient and luxury kitchens which act as a face to the house. The kitchen designs have evolved over the years to suit the current trend and comfort. The article describes the evolutionary process from traditional kitchens to modern kitchens and the importance of a well-designed kitchen.
Outline of Kitchen
In olden days, kitchen was the considered the temple inside the house, to be entered only after a bath. There was only firewood stoves and everything was on ground level. No platforms. Not much facilities were given for kitchen and women in the house had to toil in fire and smoke to cook for the family. But after 1970s, a lot of advancements reached the Indian households and hence started the revolution of kitchen appliances. Today, a kitchen consists of stove (gas or electric), refrigerator, microwave oven, mixer, sink and modular shelves to accommodate the utensils. In fact, due to the flourishing hotel industries, there has also been a rise in the growth of commercial kitchens, which are larger in size, and which have more heavy-duty appliances and equipment in them.
Today cooking is not restricted to women alone, it has become a shared responsibility of both the husband and wife. Thanks to the nuclear family set up!! Cooking has become boundary less with Indian kitchens exploring all kinds of cuisines like Chinese, Mexican and European. Also the concept of lavish cooking has decreased and ready to eat kind of foods like noodles and pasta are more preferred due to increasing work pressure and lack of time. The kitchen design companies have adopted to the changes and have come up with creative ways to build the kitchen. Let’s have a look at some international kitchen styles.
- Traditional Kitchen: Traditional kitchen gives an evergreen look of American and European homes with ample space, stainless steel appliances, wooden cabinets and styles of Victorian, Italianate or American.
- Country kitchen: They are either light or bright colored, looks as if crafted by hand. It gives a very homely look and connects people.
- Contemporary kitchen: These are the most followed design in Indian households with minimal work, best fit for compact kitchens. It gives a simple and elegant look even without the decoration or molding.
- Rustic kitchen: It is usually dark colored – red, brown or green characteristic of western America. It basically fits cottage homes made of wood.
The Indian kitchen look
- Indian households have taken ideas from all the above styles and personalized it to our requirements. Indian cooking involves a lot of ingredients like pulses, spices, flour and rice. It requires a lot of space to store all these contents.
- Hence the pull out trays and overhead cabinets play a prominent role as they are both convenient to use and compact. Another important factor is the kitchen illumination. Brighten up the place with good lighting according to the wall color and avoid shadows.
- Lighting up the inside of cabinets is also a good idea for easy retrieval of contents. The counter top material should be of good quality like granite, marble or wood to make the kitchen durable.
- Some of the luxury kitchen ideas include – stainless island, silver cabinets, hard wood floor, and granite countertop, inbuilt dining room, cooking range, chimneys, dishwashers and wall ovens.
A well-built kitchen beautifies the entire home. The invention of interior designing software has made the designing of kitchens revolutionary by incorporating all the ideas and reviewing the kitchen virtually and then bringing them to life. Please join us now for getting more details on creating your kitchen good-looking.