Solar powered lights can be used for indoors or outdoors. These lights are simple to install and save energy cost. Outdoor street lighting in a city can eat millions of energy cost causing an imbalance in the budget. Therefore, many states and municipalities are enacting plans to depend heavily on renewable solar lighting to fulfill their energy budget goal.
How solar lights are handy – some examples
In different circumstances, solar lighting solution is the best choice. For example,
- Crews working on remote construction site have to depend on fuel-powered generators for electricity, but portable solar generators (also includes diesel backup) can be towed easily.
- On mountain highways, there are road signs perched on top in little black box. This solar panel box gets charged in the day and is programmed to switch on at night time, thus need for electricity in rural areas gets eliminated.
- Solar lights in shape of flower or tree include leaves as solar panels, and these contribute artistic lighting in the surrounding. Thus, extra energy is fed in the grid. For example, the Solar Mallee Tree in Australia (2005) generates 864kWh energy. It just uses 125kWh to light the surrounding and extra power is put back in the grid.
- If you have a cabin in remote location, then solar lights can be a valuable solution.
- Outdoor recreational activities like camping can be enjoyed even after sun goes down.
Solar energy is an affordable lighting solution for replacing any residential porch lights to road lights to bill boards to sign boards. Solar panels mounted on the roof of parking lots helps to light the area at nighttime.
Benefits of outdoor solar lights
Saves money – You are using traditional electricity-powered outdoor lights for security or have well-lighted yard. Switching these to solar lights will provide you a spectacular reduction in the monthly utility bills. Obviously, the lights are powered by solar energy, which is freely available – so no BILLS.
Certainly, the upfront is more than buying grid electricity, but the investment gets recovered through power bill savings.
DIY – For outdoor solar lighting, just determine the spot to install and secure the light. Some products need to be staked in the ground, attached on the wall or fence or pole. It is simple and you get outdoors lighted similarly to grid-powered lights, but no recurring utility bills are involved.
Easy to install – Figuring out electrical system is not easy, but with solar lights there is no need for wiring or have it connected to special power source. Solar lights are designed with stakes that as to be pushed in the ground and it is ready to work. For high amount of brightness, you are provided with separate solar panel that needs to be fixed on the pole or building side.
Safe to use – Outdoor solar lights are emission free and safe for the environment. In addition, there is no need for concern about personal safety, while installation. The risk of falling or stumbling over extended cords and getting electrical shocks due to wiring issues gets eliminated.
Outdoor solar lights provide an aesthetic appeal. They are available in various sizes and styles. In addition, you get high intensity solar lighting option for safety and security as well as low lighting level for ambiance.