When you are shopping for you baby items, you can get bogged down with jargon, a lot of which is misinterpreted. A good example of this is with pram and stroller. Often they can be used to describe the same thing, but as a general rule of thumb a pram usually refers to a model that has a bassinet or flat sleeping surface whereas a stroller tends to mean a model that has an upright seating position. Other terms you may hear or read when on the subject of prams and strollers are:
Layback stroller: This type of model allows the baby to sit up or lay down so is ideal for newborns. They are sometimes referred to as a pramette.
Jogger stroller: This is normally a three-wheeled stroller, but unlike its name it’s not really suitable for jogging with.
Double stroller: Double strollers have capacity for two babies.
Convertible bike stroller: This is a combination of a tricycle and a stroller.
What to look for in a good pram or stroller:
• Wheels: You want them to be sturdy, and lockable if possible as makes travelling over rough terrain easier. Also, swivelling wheels will allow increased manoeuvrability. Inflatable wheels can often puncture easily but give a comfier ride while bigger wheels are good fro kerbs and stairs.
• Size: Does it fold up small enough to fit in the car boot and is it easy enough to collapse?
• Brakes: You want to ensure the brakes work well and are easy to operate.
• Adjustable backrest: A three-position adjustment makes it more versatile.
• Canopy/rain cover: It’s always a good idea to have a pram or stroller that has a rain cover or canopy to protect your baby from any harsh weather.
• Storage capability: Storage space is something that comes in very handy when you have a baby in tow. Just ensure you check the size and weight capacity before buying.
Once you have chosen your desired pram or stroller, you need to then think about baby blankets. Keeping your baby at the right temperature is vital to keeping them safe so having multiple baby blankets is a good idea. Use a fleece blanket when the temperature is cool and cotton pram blanket when it is warm. Baby blankets can be picked up relatively cheap online and at all good baby stores.
So, hopefully that has taken some of the stress away from buying your baby’s pram or stroller and given you an idea of what you might want for your newborn. If you are still unsure, then do some research and take your time to make an informed decision. It’s not just another item you’re buying, it is protection for your baby.