Studying abroad can be a vital part of a well-rounded education. There are some obvious things you’ll need to be aware of before you go, but you should be ready for more than just a language and culture barrier. With proper preparation, your study abroad can be one of the best experiences of your life.
Study Abroad Checklist
- Find out if your credits will transfer to your university.
- Talk to students who have studied abroad.
- Find ways to finance your trip.
- Make sure you have all necessary travel documents.
- Get a physical.( you should visit your doctor and make sure you’re in good health)
- Get insurance.
- Search out local connections.
- Make sure you’re aware of social customs.
- Register to vote.
- Decide what you want to see and do.
- Find a bank, Open an account as soon as possible and deposit all money.(Just keep some money with you and deposit all, so no one can get from you)
- Make sure your credit card doesn’t come with any crazy international fees.
- Download some useful travel apps
- Know what to do in case of an emergency.
- Know how to find the embassy.
- Know the law and stick to it.
- Learn about food and drink safety.
- Research local religion.
- Write down emergency numbers.
- Pack smart.
- Prepare to stay in touch with your friends and family.
Know that you can’t plan for everything. (It’s a good idea to arm yourself with as much knowledge as you can prior to your departure)