Since the roof is high on your home structure,most parts of it are not easily visible from the ground. It is also why many property owners tend to neglect to get regular roof inspections and maintenance done. By the time people realize there is a problem, they need emergency roof repair services. Sometimes the damage could be so severe that the only option would be a roof replacement, which can prove extremely expensive and time-consuming.
Annual Roof Inspections
The best way to ensure that you do not have to deal with this trouble and expense is to regularly get your roof inspected by expert roofers. They would be able to carry out regular maintenance and will also notice issues early and fix them before they get out of hand.
While it is best to leave roof inspection to the experts, it is also necessary for you to have some basic information about when to get roof repairs done. There are some sure signs which indicate that you need emergency roof repair. But to notice those signs, you would need to conduct some essential inspections that do not involve climbing onto the roof or doing anything similarly dangerous.
How To Inspect the Roof
The best way to inspect the roof structure is to:
- Walk around your home and look at the roof shingles, edges, and other visible features from the ground.
- Check the roof gutters and downspouts to ensure that they are in good condition. If you feel that they are sagging, have shifted, or look deteriorated or corroded, they need repair or replacement.
- Look at the walls for signs of leakages from the inside of your home. Pay special attention to the point where they touch the roofline. You should also conduct a similar check of your attic if you can.
Signs That you Need Emergency Roof Repair
Some common signs to keep an eye out for include:
- Roof Leaks-This is one of the most common signs that you need to get emergency roof repair done. If you have noticed any water damage, check from where the water is coming into your house. Never wait for the problem to worsen as it can cause a significant amount of structural damage. Water seepage can also result in the build-up of rot and mold,compromising the safety and health of you and your family.
- Missing Or Damaged Shingles-This is another sign that you would need to call a contractor to get emergency roof repairs done. If any roof shingles show signs of cracking, curling, shifting, damage, or even have gone entirely missing, it increases the chances of leakages. In addition to carrying out a visual roof inspection, you can also determine whether there are shingle granules in the gutters. This indicates you would need to get some of the shingles replaced.
- Storm Impact Damage –If you have experienced stormy weather in your area, conduct a visual inspection of the roof. This step is especially crucial if you have very tall trees in your immediate vicinity. High winds can easily snap large branches, and tree collapses can also be frequent. These can puncture the roof layers and cause a significant amount of damage.If the structure has suffered any damage after a storm, call a roofing contractor for emergency roof repair.
As mentioned earlier, one of the best ways to avoid emergency roof repair is to get your roof inspected by experts annually. Get a similar inspection done after a thunderstorm as well. This important step will help you spot problems early and get them fixed on time.