Indulging in outdoor activities is the best way to spend quality time with friends and family members, but the downside of outdoor fun includes a higher chance of fire hazards.
With that said, whether you are planning a backyard barbeque party, bonfire, fireworks, or are simply going out for a picnic; it is imperative that you keep fire safety a priority and always carry a portable fire extinguisher with you.
Not only are fire extinguishers easy to use but various companies provide periodic fire extinguisher testing Sydney to ensure the device’s optimum workability.
As a start towards fire safety and endless precaution, here are the top 4 tips for outdoor fire prevention.
Smoking cigarettes in the open air, high up on the mountain may sound thrilling but the fact is that lit cigarettes can actually start a fire which will only spread unless extinguished immediately.
The tips regarding smoking outdoor include:
- Always put out a cigarette and never toss it on the floor when lit.
- Keep your lighter and matchboxes safe and away from sunlight.
- Avoid throwing ash on the ground. Use a portable ashtray.
- Avoid smoking next to trees and branches.
- Keep your clothes safe during windy weathers while smoking.
Camping is fun, thrilling and extremely exciting. However, when it comes to fire safety, you can ever be too cautious or fully prepared. Here is what you need to take into account:
- Choose the campfire spot wisely
- Be sure to scrape away leaves and grass before building a fire.
- Do not choose a spot too close to your tents.
- Be careful with the flammable liquids: Never use gasoline directly to start a fire. Store it properly and avoid spillage.
- Always carry a portable fire extinguisher which has undergone fire extinguisher testing Sydney when outdoor.
- Wear fitted or body-hugging clothes when building a fire. Loose clothes can catch fire easily.
- Before you leave the campsite, put out the fire thoroughly and make sure all flames are extinguished.
Backyard Grilling Safety
Throwing backyard party nights for family and friends is not only awesome but totally memorable which can only be done during the summer months.
With that said, proper care must be taken when building a bonfire or simply grilling because everyone’s lives depend on the amount of precaution you take.
Here are a few tips when enjoying in your backyard:
- Before you prepare the grill, make sure it is clean and does not have excess grease or buildup.
- Check the grill’s parts for workability as you wouldn’t want anything to clog the grilling process.
- Never place a grill too close to trees, staircase, plants and dangling branches. Also, avoid placing the grill right under a tall tree.
- Keep the flammable fluids away from children’s reach and close the lids properly to avoid spillage.
- Always use only charcoal igniter for putting the coals on the fire.
- Wear fitted clothes while grilling
- Keep water, fire extinguisher, and fire blankets handy.
- Dispose of hot coals properly.
- Clean the grill for next time.
The rays of the sun can ignite a fire if something flammable comes in contact with it. Hence, it is ideal to store all possible flammable items away from direct sunlight.
Here are a few pointers:
- Store all flammable liquids in the garage away from direct sunlight.
- Never leave a matchbox or a lighter in the car unattended.
- Dispose of flammable items such as wood, tinder, and paper properly.