Pest insects such as cockroaches, flies, bed bugs, ants, and mosquitoes can be troublesome when they invade your home. These pests, in addition to being a nuisance, can also cause a lot of problems. They will damage property, contaminate food and surfaces, trigger allergies or even spread diseases directly through bites.
Getting rid of these pests is not only a challenge, but the cost of doing it can be high as well – especially if you choose to use the services of a professional exterminator. But even with the high cost of pest control, turning a blind eye on an infestation is not an option as the problem will only continue getting worse as time goes by. So is there a cheaper yet effective way of controlling pest insects? Of course, DIY insect control!
Why DIYinsect control is cheap
The most significant contributor to the pest extermination bill is the cost of labour. Labour is not cheap, so when you call in an exterminator, you will have to pay for the man hours associated with the task. By doing pest control yourself, you substitute the paid labour with yours (which is free) effectively keeping the cost of pest control low.
The other area responsible for the high cost of professional pest extermination is the markup on the pest control products used. An exterminator will most often resell pest control products to you at a higher cost. By doing DIY pest control, you can acquire the pest control products directly eliminating the high markup added by pest exterminators.
Other benefits of DIY insect pest control
Cost aside, there are other benefits of doing your own insect pest control. These are:
- Convenience. Finding the time to have an exterminator come to your home can be difficult, especially if you have a hectic schedule. By choosing the DIY insect control route, you can purchase the supplies you need online, have them delivered to your doorstep or office and do the job at your own convenience.
- Privacy. If you are concerned about letting strangers into your home, then DIY pest control is the way to go. You will be the one to do all the work which ensures that your privacy remains intact during the pest control process.
- Safety. With professional pest extermination, you have very little say on the products used to exterminate the bugs residing in your home. Some of the chemicals used by exterminators could pose a health risk to you and your family. DIY pest control enables you to choose the products used as well as the areas they’re appliedin order to protect your safety and that of your family.
- Easy follow up. Insect pests are hardy and, therefore, difficult to get rid of in one treatment. DIY pest control enables you to continue monitoring the pest situation and reapply the pest control solution, if necessary, at no additional cost – just use the leftover products you have.
- Choice of the pest control method. Almost always, exterminators will use chemicals to control pests. If you would like to use other methods such as traps and repellers, DIY insect pest control is your only option as it gives you complete control of the process. Also, if you are concerned about the environmental impact of the pest control products used, controlling insect pests by yourself enables you to choose products that are environmentally safe.
Pest insects might be a lot of trouble when they invade your home, but that doesn’t mean you should break the bank to get rid of them. Choose DIY insect control to rid your home of these stubborn critters without spending a fortune.