Worldwide, the problem of hair loss affects millions of people; in fact, about one-third of the world’s population is affected by this problem. Loss of hair is a natural phenomenon, with about 100 strands falling each day, however, the problem arises when there is excessive loss of hair, with hair thinning and even bald spots.
What are the causes of hair fall?
There are multiple causes of hair fall, ranging from poor quality of water, mineral deficiency, stress, genetics, pollution and even medication. Other causes can include allergies, hormonal imbalance and poor hair care. Most of us have a busy and stressful lifestyle, which makes us more prone to hair loss in the long run.
Natural Ways to stop hair fall
Whatever the cause of hair fall is, there are certain natural ways that can be adopted to reduce hair fall, and increase hair growth. Natural remedies are a safe way to combat hair loss, however, for severe or sudden hair loss, professional help should be sought. Hair experts at Fatima Memorial Hospital can advise you the best way to reduce hair shedding.
- Hot oil massage: oils like coconut or almond oil can nourish the scalp through their moisturizing properties. Heating it slightly and applying to the scalp can help increase the flow of blood to the hair follicles and improve hair growth. Moreover, hot oil massage can help decrease hair fall by strengthening the follicles and conditioning the scalp.
- Rubbing green tea into the hair: studies show that hair loss can be reduced significantly by rubbing green tea into the hair. Green tea is rich in antioxidants and thereby provides nourishment to the scalp. The way to apply green tea is: to take a cup of water and brew two bags of green tea in it. Apply this to the hair, and wash thoroughly after an hour. This should be done regularly for evident results.
- Beetroot juice: beetroot is rich in minerals and nutrients that complete the nutritional deficiency causing hair fall. Beetroot juice revitalizes the body, and improves hair growth. Beetroot is also good for improving the iron levels in the body.
- Applying Amla (Indian gooseberry): amla has been long since known to improve hair health, reduce hair loss and increase hair growth. Amla is a rich source of vitamin c, deficiency of which is associated with hair loss. Other antibacterial and antioxidant properties of amla make it a great hair food. It is even added to shampoos and conditioners because of its numerous benefits.
- Hair mask: applying a mix of healthy ingredients for hair in a form of mask also helps to combat hair fall. You need not spend a lot of money for commercial hair masks with a lot of chemicals in them. You can make a perfect hair mask at home, with ingredients from your pantry. Olive oil, honey, banana, coconut oil are hair nourishing ingredients and when applied in the form of a hair mask, they help to control hair loss to a great extent.
Hair mask with olive oil: 2 tablespoons of olive oil, when mixed with the same amount of honey, and a pinch of cinnamon makes a great hair pack. Just blend the ingredients and apply onto the hair; wash after some time. Do it regularly for great results.
Hair mask with neem leaves: grind and boil neem leaves to a paste. Apply this paste onto the hair after shampooing your hair (like a conditioner). Wash this mask off after half-hour. This should be done at least twice a week to see significant differences.
Hair mask with aloe vera: enzymes in aloe vera can help to increase growth of hair. In fact, even eating aloe vera on an empty stomach can curb hair fall. The dead skin cells are removed by application of aloe vera mask, and due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, a healthy environment for the hair is produced.
To make a hair mask with aloe vera, mix it with castor oil, and apply directly. Massage it a little to improve the blood circulation. This mask is great for providing hydration to the hair, and adding a shine to the dry looking strands.
Hair mask with egg whites: a great recipe for hair loss is a hair mask with egg white and curd. Eggs are a rich source of Sulphur, which not only combats bacteria, but also improves the strength of hair. Stronger hair is less likely to fall, therefore, eggs can reduce hair fall. Moreover, Sulphur encourages the growth of collagen and keratin, which is what hair is made up of.
Curd also improves the texture of hair, and provides hydration to the scalp. It can help cure brittle and dry hair. A hair pack with 2 tablespoons of fresh curd and 2 egg whites make a great hair mask. Apply this to the hair and wash after some time. This mask should be applied regularly for maximal benefit.
There are also many health-conditions, particularly those related with skin, which can impact hair fall. Experts at Ziauddin Hospital can help you identify any underlying disease, which is increasing hair loss, and advise treatment accordingly.