Drones are also known as Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV), and have been involved in commercial purposes since the 1980’s. Over the past decades, the drone technology has significantly developed and is becoming increasingly popular in a varied range of industries. Infrastructure, agriculture, and transport are the main industries which have the highest potential to benefit from drones. Farmers are interested in various drone applications starting from soil analysis to crop health tests.
The potential of drones in agriculture hasn’t been realised fully till date. However, they can assist the farmers to take some of the uncertainty out of the data collection and analysis process. These newer insights can help the farmer to develop precision farming techniques, which will help them to generate greater yields with fewer resources. So, basically drone applications can boost the efficiency and profits of farming, in spite of the volatility in prices and shortage of skills. So, it’s of utmost importance that you purchase agricultural drones. Rise Above is an Australian family-run business with a team of dedicated and knowledgeable staff. They have more than 5 years of experience in the field of building, testing, flying, and distribution of UAVs.
Things you should definitely know about using drones in agriculture :
Using UAVs or drones in the agricultural sector, can prove to be really useful for the farmers. It’s a great way of letting technology help in increasing farming yield and that too in a more resource efficient way. So, it’s a good thing for farmers that there are drones for sale in Australia. They can definitely give drones a try in farming operations. But first, you need to know these things:
- Infrared and NDVI : NDVI is basically the acronym for Normalized Difference Vegetation Index and it’s an analysis tool that helps to assess crop health. It tells you where your crops are growing well or if they are not doing so, due to a number of factors. Drones are provided with infrared sensors that scan the entire field, to get an idea about the amount of infrared light that’s being reflected by the crops. A healthy crop will reflect a high amount of infrared light, while an unhealthy crop absorbs more and reflects less. This will save thousands of dollars of fertilizers that will ultimately go to waste in low-yielding parts of the field.
- Drainage solutions : Drainage problems tend to be the biggest headaches for farmers. Even digging up trenches doesn’t ensure proper drainage as they may be not deep enough. You can map the area with precision taking the help of a drone, and make the correct decision. So, drones basically help you acquire the correct data to make accurate drainage decisions.
- Easy to fly : You can turn out to be an expert UAV pilot in a very short time. All you have to do is some basic manoeuvres in times of an emergency a.k.a. object avoidance. Also, most drones have fully autonomous controls, so you just have to program in the flight.
- Prices have come down : The cost of drones has significantly come down in the recent years — but, it’s still a potential investment. It will still cost you capital to have such an important tool in your farming business. But, the benefits that these drones will serve you with will be totally worth the money.
- Safety : This should technically be at the top of the list, but we didn’t want to scare you away, not just yet. You need to understand that drones are powerful tools and not mere toys. There are many rules that you have to follow, so as to ensure that both you and the people around you are safe. Don’t misuse it, and all accidents can be prevented.
So, these were the main 5 things that you need to know before you start using drones in the agriculture sector. Along with keeping these in mind, and using it in the best way possible, there’s nothing that can stop you from earning profits. So, are you ready to take the big step?