When it comes to a building a driveway like dozens of other homeowners in Mornington Peninsula you may have decided to go for a crushed rock driveway. And you had the right reasons behind your choice – they are inexpensive to build and add an impressive rustic touch to your property. But crushed rock driveways require strict maintenance regime or they can easily turn into an eyesore which is something you want to avoid at any cost. If you are planning to build one you need to brace up for a periodic maintenance regime and here are five tips for crushed rock driveway maintenance that would allow them to retain their form and elegance.
1. Make A Close Observation – Before you start with the maintenance regime it is important for you to closely observe the problem areas. There is no better time to do so than the rainy season where you can easily spot potholes and ruts. They become more prominent during this season and are easy to spot.
2. Take Care of Potholes – Crushed rock driveways tend to develop potholes overtime as the small pieces of rocks move away due to the load of your vehicles. When this happens you need to use a shovel and a pick to even out the rocks. You may need to shop for some additional supplies to even out the surface.
3. Compact The Rocks – Your driveway is made of small pieces of rocks and over time you would see ruts developing in places where your tyre makes regular contact. As a part of your regime you need to spread the rocks evenly and use a heavy roller to compact them. If you don’t have a roller you can use a heavy vehicle driving it all along the driveway.
4. Work on Drainage – Water is the biggest nemesis of your crushed rock driveway. If you are experiencing washouts and ruts in your driveway or seeing water accumulate even during slightest of showers you need to work on the drainage of your driveway. If the problem persists even after basic maintenance you may need to hire a professional for extensive repair and maintenance.
5. Deal With Weeds & Grass – While weeds and grass may not trouble you initially over time you will see this unwanted growth on your driveway. The best way to deal with this problem is to spray an herbicide using your garden sprayer over the surface. Repeat this process for a few days and you would be able to check this unwanted growth.
If you follow these crushed rock driveway maintenance tips you would be able to maintain a driveway that adds to the aesthetic appeal of your property as well as its value. The process starts with choosing the right variety of crushed rock in Hastings or anywhere else you live in Mornington Peninsula. They come in different dimensions starting at the 10 mm mark all the way up to 100 mm rocks used for base installation. Find a reputable supplier for crushed rock in Hastings and you are all set for a successful project.
About Author: Sam Stout is a professional landscaper who offers crushed rock driveway maintenance services to his clients and has extensively written on making the right choice with crushed rock in Hastings.