The kitchen is the room that gets used more than any other room in your home, which is why a kitchen remodel can be so rewarding! By putting in a little time and thought into the design, you can end up with a room that is wonderful to be in and that brings you a great deal of joy.
Read More at dragon trees like plenty of ambient sunlight
It’s also important to put thought into your kitchen remodel because you don’t want to end up regretting your choices down the line.
To make sure you get the kitchen of your dreams, there are some things that you need to consider.
This is perhaps the most important thing to think about, and you need to do it before you start looking at any new kitchens and falling in love with ones that you can’t reasonably afford.
Things that you need to include within your budget are:
- Removal of your old kitchen. This includes the removal itself, as well as skip hire to get rid of it. You can get rid of this expense if you plan to remove the kitchen yourself, and if you want to sell your old kitchen on eBay or another online platform. If your kitchen is in good condition, you’d be surprised how many people will want it!
- Installation of your new kitchen. Again, you can get rid of this expense if you plan to do the installation yourself, but be sure to allow a lot of time for this because installing a kitchen is nowhere near as simple as it looks. Some people prefer to pay a professional because they don’t want their kitchen out of commission for weeks on end.
- Units and work surfaces. You can save yourself a bit of money here by checking online for second hand kitchens in good condition, or by looking at ex-showroom kitchens. If you’re buying new you may also be able to negotiate a payment plan – but if you do this you need to be certain that you can afford the repayments, and that the interest doesn’t make your new kitchen too expensive.
- Sinks and appliances. It’s worth looking for dented and scratched appliances from electrical appliances stores, as these will often be offered at a discount and a lot of the time you can’t even see the scratch!
- Flooring. You can save some money by installing flooring yourself.
Are You Selling In Future?
If you are renovating your kitchen with the thought of adding value to your home so that you can potentially sell it, this may influence what kind of renovation work you do.
If the renovation work is just for yourself, you’ll want the kitchen to reflect your personality and tastes. If you are selling, you might want to consider adding features that buyers are looking for:
- Laundry room. People love the idea of a separate room where they can hide their laundry and not have to think about it.
- Energy efficient appliances and well-insulated doors and windows. These measures are well known to save energy and money, and so are high on the lists of a lot of potential homeowners.
- Walk-in pantry. A walk-in pantry makes a kitchen feel homey, and makes food storage much less of a headache.
- Flooring. Floors that look smart and are easy to clean will be a big win in the minds of potential buyers. Definitely don’t carpet your kitchen if you want buyers to be interested!
- Kitchen diner. People love to be able to eat in the kitchen, and this is especially true if you are likely to be marketing your home to people with families.
The next thing to think about is functionality. What are the things that you absolutely need to have in your kitchen, and how do you fit them in around things like plumbing and electrical outlets?
It’s also important to plan your room so that it is laid out in a way that makes it easy to use for you. For example, you’ll probably want to have the fridge, sink and cooker close to each other as you’ll be using all three when you’re cooking and you won’t want to be walking between them more than you need to.
For more advice on how to plan a functional and aesthetically pleasing kitchen, take a look at the Kitchen Capital renovations guide.
Freestanding Or Integrated Oven?
A freestanding oven is an oven and hob, all included within one appliance. An integrated oven is built into a kitchen cabinet and has a separate hob.
There are pros and cons to each which are worth taking into consideration when making your choice.
If you choose an integrated oven you can choose the height that it is installed at, which is great if you don’t want to have to bend over to check your food. This is particularly helpful for people with back and mobility problems. Another good thing about integrated ovens is that the hob is separate, meaning you could choose to have a gas hob and an electric oven for example.
The benefit of a freestanding oven is that it’s all in one package, so you don’t need to worry about buying a hob separately. They are also often cheaper to repair, and you can take them with you when you move which you can’t with a built-in oven.
Choosing A Sink
When choosing a sink it’s important to consider how much you are likely to be using it. If you have a dishwasher, then a small sink may suffice.
It’s also important to think about the depth of sink that you need. You need to strike a balance so that your sink is deep enough for your purposes, but also won’t take an age to fill up. You also don’t want to have to bend too far over to use your sink as this will hurt your back after a while.
There are a lot of choices out there when it comes to worktop materials. A lot of people like a wooden countertop because it gives your kitchen a rustic aesthetic. However, still others prefer a more hard-wearing material like granite because you can set hot pans directly on it, and use a knife on it, without causing damage!
When choosing your worktop material consider the look you want, as well as how you will be using your kitchen.