The modern world that you live in has a lot of environmental factors which accelerate the ageing of your body, especially your skin. Pollution, exposure to UV rays, and daily stresses are just some of the major contributors to skin ageing. However, there are some people who are still able to look young even if they are already in their 40’s to 60’s. How are they able to achieve this?
Looking young in your old age is possible. Your skin is the most important part of your body that needs constant care because it is the first line of defence against external threats. Likewise, you must be conscious of what you consume because these also affect your internal health and will eventually manifest through the appearance of your skin. Most people who still have youthful skin upon reaching their old age observe good practices in their daily lives.
There are several ways to age gracefully and by having enough discipline and consistency in your daily routine, you can also have that youthful skin.
The Physical Body
• Eating the right foods help a lot in keeping your body healthy. When your body is well-nourished, it functions well and it is efficient in keeping away illnesses. You should always consume foods in moderate amounts. Fresh fruits and vegetables should be part of your daily diet. They easily digestible and help rid the body of toxins.
Whole grains and organic products are as important. You must make sure that the food you eat is free from chemicals, preservatives, and other artificial ingredients.
• Drink plenty of water. It’s cheap, always available, and it has a lot of benefits for keeping the skin hydrated and plump. When you have plump skin, fine lines and wrinkles are reduced significantly. Drinking at least eight glasses of water a day is one of the easiest ways to achieve and maintain healthy glowing skin.
• Exercise and move often. These days, there are so many modern conveniences that encourage a sedentary lifestyle. Practically anything can already be delivered to your doorsteps. But to achieve youthful skin, you need to get up and work those muscles. It doesn’t have to be done in a gym with heavy body-building equipment. Exercise can be jumping rope while watching TV or even jogging in place.
• As mentioned, the skin is the first barrier against external pollutants and threats to our bodies. If we constantly go out during the day and get exposed to the sun, it’s important to wear sunscreen. This helps shield the skin from harmful UV rays that cause premature ageing.
• Regularly cleanse your skin. Take a nice long bath every occasionally, and give your skin a good scrub while you’re at it. Scrubbing the skin rids it of accumulated dead skin cells, paving the way for new and young skin growth.
The Spiritual Body:
• When you feel good inside, it will manifest on the outside. How do we keep our spiritual body healthy? Being a genuinely kind person does a lot for your spiritual well-being. However, being kind doesn’t mean being a push-over. Being kind means treating your neighbor as you want to be treated. Treat everyone right and they will you right.
• Have you ever experienced an overwhelming feeling of accomplishment and joy that comes with being able to help another person, even in just a small way? The endorphin hormones are responsible for overwhelming joy and happiness. The body naturally produces these hormones. They are also called the “happy hormones”. They are also known as feel-good hormones.
When your body feels that you are happy, it works better—it serves as a motivation for your body to further improve its functions.
• Another way to improve spiritual health is by daily meditation. It can be a short meditation that lasts only 2-3 minutes a day. Just by relaxing and focusing on your breathing and being more in tune with your body helps a lot in improving your spiritual health.
• Other spiritual habits include volunteering in your local church or your local community organization. These organizations provide the avenue towards helping other people. For most people, they feel good about themselves when they can help other people. Their self-worth increases. They feel they have found their purpose. These kinds of feeling enhance your spiritual well-being and it will translate to your physical appearance.
The Mental Body:
• You are what you think. Whatever the mind consumes, it has a way of making it into reality. Just look at the commercials that you see on TV every day. These commercials tell you that something is wrong with you, and you look yourself in the mirror, seeing your flaws. The mind sees what it wants to see. So, feed it with positive thoughts. Not everything that you see on TV or read in billboards and magazines are true.
• Surround yourself with positive people who encourage you to be yourself. Eliminate those people who send out negative messages to you.
• Being a wide reader also helps improve your mental health. Your mind is stimulated and its muscles are exercised. Do not contain yourself to one genre, but try reading other materials apart from Facebook notifications and news feeds. Read informational material like educational books, classic novels, and the newspaper.
• Play games. This activity can either be physically or mentally engaging. Games like chess stimulate the mind to be strategic. It fires up a lot of neurons and receptors in the brain. The brain is at its optimal health when it is working on a problem when it is faced with creative challenges. Keeping the brain active is a way to stave off the ageing process.
• Sleep. Yes, your body needs all the rest it can get. When you are sleeping, your mind can focus on repairing and upgrading your body systems. It’s no wonder that it is also known as a “beauty rest”. When you wake up from a restful sleep, your body is refreshed and it shows in your skin appearance.
All these practices contribute to your overall wellness. It’s important to appreciate how these practices complement one another. If one of them is neglected, the effects can be unpleasant. If you only focus on your mental health, not take care of your physical health, your body will lose its strength and it will be susceptible to many diseases.
Ensure that you practice holistic habits that targets all three health aspects of achieving a healthy body and healthy skin. Having youthful skin is something that can be achieved by everyone, whatever age you are in.