You can form an everlasting relationship with a dog. But that simply doesn’t mean you will not have to put any kind of work into your relationship. It’s extremely challenging to build a great bond with a dog like Labrador Retriever. That is why you should leave no stone unturned to build and grow your bond with your dog. Let’s have a look at some of the most amazing ways to connect with your dog, irrespective of whether you have adopted it or it has been with you for years.
- A lot of people get their Labrador retriever puppies trained by professionals. And there is nothing wrong in doing so. But make sure you are present with your dog when it is getting trained. The point is that you should always try to be around your dog whenever it is learning something new. If you are training your dog yourself, then you can go for positive reinforcement training by rewarding the animal every time it does what it is expected to do. An amazing benefit of positive reinforcement training is that it makes your dog believe that you are a giver, and this helps it feel good about you. This can certainly be the beginning of a great bond between you two.
- When you are with your dog, you won’t have to be playing or jumping around; you can spend some quiet quality time together. This might sound a little strange or absurd, but it indeed strengthens the bond that you and your dog share. Make time to be with your dog. You won’t have to do a lot of petting; just be with it and stay quiet. You will see that your dog is understanding your purpose and co-operating with you.
- Dogs love to compete. And they don’t just enjoy competing with other dogs but humans too. And that is why you should always encourage this competitive spirit in your dog. You can do so by competing with it. Engage in a competition of some kind and show the dog that you are struggling hard to win it. Sharing the struggles and winning Joys will bring the two of you closer.
- A lot of dog owners prefer free feeding. They just bring the food and dump it onto the platter of the dog. Although this is nothing Immoral or wrong, you can make your dog feel much more loved by feeding it yourself. If you don’t get time to feed your dog, use the food to reward it during training sessions. When you offer your dog good things to eat with your own hand, it begins to love you even more. When your dog will see the food coming directly from you, it will feel you are its source of food and shelter.
- A lot of people get so desperate about what they want from their dogs, they sometimes forget that a dog is also a living creature with its own likes, dislikes, demands and preferences. If your dog doesn’t love ear scratches, respect that! You can be fine with belly rubbing alone. Your dog feels much more love and respect for you when it realises that you never do anything that it doesn’t like.
- You should always try to turn every experience of your dog into a pleasurable or positive one. There are many things that your dog doesn’t like. But as a dog owner, you need to force your dog into doing them, maybe because they are good for your dog. In such a scenario, making your dog’s experiences seem positive helps immensely. For instance, if your dog doesn’t love to be bathed, then you can make bathing feel like an adventure or amusement activity to your dog. You can do so by offering it toys and treats while it takes its bath. This will certainly make the animal look forward to bathing every day.
- You should always spend time playing with your dog. Play is such an important part of your dog’s life. Dogs play with other dogs. But because possibilities of such plays are limited under your supervision, you dog might get bored. As an alternative, you can offer to be its play partner. It doesn’t really matter what game you engage in, what counts is how enjoyable you can make it by your involvement.
- To develop a strong bond with your dog, you need to have trust for each other. Although dogs trust their owners easily, you can always do your bit to make things easier for your pup. To help your dog trust you, you don’t really need to do anything special. All you need is to be supportive to your dog and avoid aversive training methods. If you call your dog, make sure it is for its benefit and not for any kind of punishment or something that it doesn’t like.
- Dogs love their life to be in order, and that is why you should always set rules for them. Don’t worry; your dog won’t have problems with you setting rules for it. But these rules need to be strict. You cannot overlook your dog sleeping on your couch one day and then punish him another day you see him doing the same thing. This will only confuse your pup and it won’t really understand what makes you angry. See to it that the rules you make are not too stringent. Otherwise, your dog will be running away from them.
- If travelling together with your dog doesn’t create a lot of problems for you, then do so often. A road trip isn’t a road trip for your dog it is a treasure trove of adventures. Hence, by taking your dog on trips often, you will become its favourite.
Yes, your dog cannot speak. But it expresses a lot through its gestures. Train yourself in such a way that you understand all the gestures your dog makes. This way, your dog will be certain that it is only you who understands it well. A wonderful way to strengthen your bond with your dog! Definitely! If you don’t own a Labrador Retriever, then you probably won’t understand what great bond we are talking about. So, get your pup today! But before that, check Labrador puppy price in India.