The Australian mining industry presents very specific conditions when it comes to fire safety. Mining facilties require a strict fire protection model as they inherently house hazardous materials and activity, and the legislation and building regulations for the industry reflects this.
Our products are designed and engineered to suit the many different heavy duty industrial applications and can be customised to meet the needs of any space. Fire rated doors are a crucial element of the fire protection models within the mining sector and are necessary for the safety of all facilties and personnel. Let’s take a closer look at fire doors for the mining industry.
What Are Fire Doors?
“Fire door” is a short term for a fire-rated door set. Fire doors consist of the door leaf, frame and associated hardware such as handles, locks, viewing panels and air grills. All of these elements are rigorously tested in accordance with the Building Code of Australia (i.e. AS1530.4) to achieve their fire rating. You can read more about this process here.
These kinds of doors are required to close and latch by themselves to avoid being left open. This is particularly important for what is known as ‘compartmentalising’ a fire, which contains flame and smoke while directing traffic to safety.
Why Do We Need Fire Doors In Mining Facilties?
Fire rated doors are an essential part of fire protection in the mining industry:
• Safety – Fire doors save lives by stopping fire and smoke from spreading quickly and from entering places where people may get trapped, such as mines, corridors, alcoves, warehouses and maintenance facilities.
• Compliance – Australian mines have strict regulations in regards to fire safety in all states. If you’re in a management role in the mining industry it is very important to ensure that all fire rated doors and frames comply with Australian (and state) regulations in order to avoid serious penalties.
• Easy escape – Aside from the doors themselves, fire door signage helps to direct personnel to safety in the event of a fire.
What Kinds of Fire Doors Are Avaliable To The Mining Industry?
Mining facilties house a range of inherently dangerous activities and materials. From mines and warehouses, to offshore facilities and research facilities and office spaces, these spaces vary greatly.
At FSE we provide a range of heavy duty fire door options to suit any mining application.
• Radiation shielded fire doors – Radiation shielding for doors provide a vital layer of protection on your doors to personnel safe from radiation. They are suitable in facilties where radiation is used. These doors doors are lined with a lead sheet and can include radiation shielded glass vision panels for maximum protection.
• Sliding fire doors – Sliding fire doors are quite common in larger spaces where, in the event of a fire, larger entry/exit points are needed to accommodate more people and large machinery, but where the use of conventional side hung doors is impractical.
• Hinged fire doors – Our standard hinged fire doors are perfect for use in mining facilities. Our product has been designed and engineered specifically for heavy duty use that also offer higher performance levels of security, longevity and sound attenuation.
• Swinging fire doors – Swinging double action fire doors are crucial in mining facilities where corridors have heavy traffic flow in both directions. They perform like any other fire door. However, the key difference is that they swing 180-degrees to allow traffic to move quickly and easily back and forth through the doors.
• Biothermic fire doors – Biothermic doors are designed to prevent the flow of gas between rooms or compartments by creating an air tight (gas tight) seal. These specialised doors are built to withstand extreme pressure and are made to resist both thermal and chemical damage.
• Ballistic fire doors – Ballistic Doors are bullet and blast resistant, providing protection against things such as explosions and other malicious attacks.
Fire Doors For The Mining Industry from FSE Special Purpose Doors
Fire doors are an essential part of every mining facilities’ fire protection model for the safety of all persons within.
FSE Special Purpose Doors’ unmatched experience and expertise in the design, construction and manufacture of fire doors for mining provides our customers with exceptional peace of mind.