When Memphis was going through plenty of crime problem and also the local administration had budget constraints, then the mayors rose up in that situation and with various innovations they made an attempt to solve these problems.
With a team of 5 mayors, they took support from Philanthropies, and came up with creative solutions which could improve the citizen’s lives.
You may also visit the website https://memphiscrime.org/safe-community-plan/ and try to know in detail and the contribution of company like MSCC in this regard.
In the year, 2011, by using a small grant of $4.8 million obtained from Bloomberg Philanthropies, mayors helped Memphis to launch a team, who implemented various data-driven and results-oriented solutions.
In fact, in the year 2006 itself, Memphis Fast Forward had made an ambitious plan for reducing various violent crimes related to property with its public safety help called as “Memphis Shelby Crime Commission” which is also known as MSCC.
The initial plan for safe community had adopted following few key operating principles while doing their work at that time:
- Crime prevention plan will support countywide plan meant for economic prosperity of Memphis.
- This plan was built on strong partnership between private and public entities.
- Multi-level governmental participation was initiated among state, county, city and the federal agencies that were essential for its success.
- The plan was evolved with willingness for change in the emerging trends.
- Complete plan was characterized with clearly defined objectives and was reported to public.
- Accountability of the partner was central in the plan.
- The implementation of plan was based on various evidences as much possible.
Subsequently, after finding the response and trends after implementation of the above plan, the next version of Safe Community Plan was focused primarily on various violent crimes and various efforts made by the team that made great impact.
In order to help in this process, the next plan about Safe Community Plan was tuned its key principles of operation to determine how best to get the impact:
- All the objectives were requested and also supported by all the relevant owners who made those objectives.
- All the objectives were evidence-based.
- All the objectives could have near-term impact particularly on violent crime rates.
- All the objectives were having involvement of criminal justice system
- All the objective owners were agreeable for an independent evaluation about their processes as well as results.
This new plan had 5 goals and 16 specific objectives. Total plan was developed by taking input from 500 citizens, which was also approved by crime commission’s board of directors, which was composed of 50 community leaders among the private and public sectors.
It was a 5-year plan that was designed to convert the Memphis community as the safest place in the nation.
Innovation means that some things will be different in each city. In case of Memphis, it turned into a core principle to tackle the problems and challenges of attacks and Memphis has supported the team and also will continue to support in future too.
Innovation also means for Memphis is reduced violence among youth with gun, which means a brighter and vibrant city landscape. Also, new businesses can enter here and make an impact on neighborhood.