Regardless of all the cautions that you take for your car, there will arise some jittery moments. To save yourself of all the hassles, it is advisable that you maintain your car in the most apposite manner. For this purpose, you must know some nitty-gritty of your automotive.
Fundamentals of automotive that every car owner should know:
1. Examine car owners manual. It contains all the information on car maintenance as well as safety measures.
2. First things first. Maintain all the fluids (e.g. engine oil, transmission fluid, coolant, etc.) clean and topped up. The condition of the transmission fluid determines the functioning of the automatic transmission at its optimum. Over a period of time, the fluids evaporate, leak and lose their quality. They should be changed subsequently. Driving on low oil can cause your engine wear so top up is vital. All the oils are very important for your car’s health. Remember- use only the suggested oil type.
3. Everything you would want to know about your car is written elaborately in the owner’s manual. A map of the engine compartment is given. This is to give an idea as to how the coolant, engine oil or transmission fluid are to be maintained and changed. You can even find information regarding changing a headlight or taillight bulb or even how to start your car if the battery goes dead.
4. Just follow your maintenance schedule. There are a number of things that should be replaced frequently or serviced (e.g. brakes, air filter, timing belt, spark plugs, etc.).Make sure you do them on time.
5. Keep checking the pressure regularly.
6. If you are not able to see properly, then change your windshield wipers immediately. In normal circumstances also, change the wiper blades twice a year.
7. Wash your car as often as possible as that helps to maintain the look and also avert rusting. Do not forget the interiors of the car. They also should be kept clean to keep it smell free. A lot of wiring is present in the dash center, console and under the carpet. Hence keep it dry. Don’t mess with the mechanics.
8. Beware of any symptoms that seem odd. Get them addressed as soon as possible. Any delay can lead to a bigger crisis. The symptoms include warning lights continue to be ON, engine temperature rising above normal, leaks, unusual noises when driving over bumps or while braking, abnormal smell, difference in the mode the car drives, grease on the wheels, different feel of the brake pedal are the signs revealing latent problems.
9. Never use fugitive parts.
10. Check the pressure in the tires regularly to prevent any mishap from happening.
11. Drive effortlessly. A haste run over speed bumps damages struts and other suspension components. Wheel bearings and rims also feel the heat.
12. Get your car checked out in the garage once a year. Always choose a reliable repairing shop (like Brake Repair Clayton) for the overhauling of your car.
Maintaining a car is not that difficult when you are provided with a manual and a number of auto repair shops like car service Parramatta are in attendance. A keen eye on your car’s health can save you from a zillion troubles and tribulations. Drive safe!