Ever heard of Sciatica? This is a pain that is caused by malfunction of the sciatic nerve. The main symptom of Sciatica is pain in the lower back and buttocks which can also extend to the back of the thigh and sometimes spread to your legs. The intensity of the pain varies from mild in some patients to acute in others. People suffering from sciatica can find it hard to perform even mundane tasks like walking, bending over, completing household chores and even coughing and sneezing.
However, there is hope for people suffering from this pain who do not want to undergo surgery. Ayurveda helps in treating and managing sciatica with natural medicines and therapies. Let us take a look at how Ayurveda deals with sciatica.
The Therapies: In Ayurveda, Sciatica treatment comprises of three different stages.
· Elimination: Flushing out the toxins present in the body that are the result of food consumed and various other diseases
· Pacification: Rectifying the various organs that are responsible for sciatica
· Rejuvenation: Working to improve the overall health of the tissues in the body and helping them to regain their strength
The therapeutic treatment consists of different types of massages and other techniques, which ensure that the inflammation of the sciatic nerve is rectified. These include:
· Vasti (which is the primary treatment for sciatic pain)
The Medicines: Apart from the aforementioned therapies, the doctor would also prescribe some medicines that would help in rectifying the problems within your body that could be aggravating the sciatica. Here is a list of medicines that are used for curing Sciatica pain.
· Yogaraja Guggulu: This is made from the herb called Guggulu, which helps in reducing the inflammation and thereby the pain caused by it.
· Vataganjakusha & VaishwanaraChurna: Ayurveda believes that the main reason for sciatica is gastric problems in the body. So, Vataganjakusha and VaishnaraChurna are prescribed; to be mixed and taken with warm water,twice a day. This mixture can also be mixed with Manjishta to form a decoction that is extremely beneficial to cure all disorders related to the abdomen.
· SaindhavadiThailam or MahavishagarbhaThailam: This should be used to massage the affected area. The doctor would also advise you to apply heat fomentation to the area after massage. These oils mainly contain herbs like Shallaki, Juniper, Jaiphal, Rasna, etc. which are extremely effective in curing back pain as well as joint pains.
Diet Prohibition: When it comes to Ayurvedic treatment, there will have to follow some dietary restrictions which you need to adhere to, to ensure that the medicines and treatment have a quick and lasting effect on your body.
· No pulses, beans and fried food.
· No sour foods like curd, lemon, etc.
Sciatica can be easily treated with Ayurveda provided you go to an experienced professional and follow all the instructions given to you by the doctor.
About the Author:
Dr. Gurnam Singh Saini is an efficient, well experienced and fully qualified Ayurvedic Doctor with several success stories. His “PURE HERBAL AYURVED CLINIC” is situated in Northcote, 10 minutes drive from Melbourne. Pure Herbal Ayurveda Clinic offers safe and reliable Ayurvedic Treatments. They also provide online Ayurvedic consultation. They figure in the list of the Best Herbalists, Naturopath and Ayurvedic Doctors in Melbourne, Australia. For more information, you can visit their site www.pureherbalayurved.com.au.