One of the important conditions for the implementation of the tasks of the disaster medicine service is its sufficient provision with material and technical means, including medical property. This task is solved by performing a set of measures for the supply of medicinal property.
Medical supply is a system of scientific knowledge and practical actions that ensure the timely and complete provision of the QMS requirements of the Ministry of Health of Australia for medical assets in all modes of operation.
The medical supplies in Australia are organized in the general system of medical and sanitary support for the event on the elimination of medical and sanitary consequences of emergencies under the following basic principles:
- The organization of medical supplies should be consistent with the objectives and structure of the QMS;
- The organization of medical supply of the QMS should be consistent with the organization of the provision of medicines and medical equipment existing in the health care system;
- Medical equipment stocks, their separation, and organization should ensure high availability of QMS at all levels and successful completion of tasks in any situation.
Based on the above principles, the tasks of medical supply of the QMS are formulated. The main ones are:
- Providing medical property with daily medical and diagnostic, preventive and research activities of disaster medicine centers, their subordinate institutions, and formations;
- Ensuring the readiness of institutions and departments of medical supply to work in various modes of operation of the QMS;
- Forecasting the need for medical equipment in emergencies and assessing its local resources in the interests of the disaster medicine service;
- Creating, maintaining and ensuring the targeted use of reserves of medical equipment in the elimination of health consequences of an emergency;
- Collection and analysis of information on the state of medical supplies in emergencies;
- Monitoring the status of medical supplies;
- Participation in the development of regulatory documents of the QMS;
- Participation in the training, professional development, and certification of QMS specialists;
- Participation in international cooperation in the field of improving the organization of the medical supply and the work of the medical supply bodies of the QMS in emergencies.
The supply of medical equipment to the formations and institutions of the QMS is organized by the organs of medical supply. These include – departments of medical supply centers of disaster medicine, pharmacies, and warehouses of medical equipment of their secondary institutions.
Among the formations of the emergency medical service, field hospitals (detachments) occupy a special place. Their provision during the autonomous work with drugs is carried out by a pharmacy, medical equipment, and other medical supplies – the department of material and technical support.
When sending a team or team of specialized medical assistance to an emergency zone for autonomous work, a financially responsible person is appointed from the team.
The organization of storage takes into account the physicochemical properties of chemical and pharmaceutical preparations, various properties of medical equipment and other medical supplies, as well as the requirements for ensuring their safety. For example, under any circumstances, it is necessary to exclude the possibility of access by strangers to the list “A” drugs, narcotic and psychotropic drugs and their inappropriate use.
Issuance of the medical property of the minimum stock in use is made under orders to alert medical units and institutions. Such orders must at the same time be communicated to recipients and pharmacies where medical equipment is stored for them. At the same time, (if necessary) issues of the allocation of transport for its transportation are solved.
The property of the minimum stock stored in health care institutions for medical departments and formations is received by materially responsible officials appointed by order of the head of the institution.
Upon completion of measures to eliminate the health consequences of the emergencies, the formations and institutions prepare a report on medical supplies, which is presented as an independent section in the reporting documents on the organization of medical and sanitary provision of the population in emergencies. In addition to the positive experience, it reflects the deficiencies that have occurred and the ways to eliminate them, as well as suggestions for improving the medical supply.
Medical property entering the formations or institutions of the disaster medicine service (received from suppliers under contracts or one-time purchases, in the form of humanitarian aid) is properly received and accounted for, regardless of the source of income. In the center of disaster medicine, it necessarily passes through a medical warehouse and is accounted for by the accounting department of the medical supply and accounting department on the basis of acts of admission. In the hospital, medical equipment passes through the pharmacy or warehouse.
The formation of the QMS using (operating) medical property, keep its records and regularly conduct an inventory of narcotic and psychotropic drugs (monthly).
Organization of the work of the medical supply units of the emergency medical service in the high-alert mode
Emergency mode is often preceded by an alert mode. From the point of view of preparation for the elimination of the health consequences of emergencies for the formations and institutions of the emergency medical service, this is the most favorable option. During this period, medical supply management bodies are given the opportunity to predict the need for medical assets and to clarify in advance the staffing level of reserves and minimum stocks of medical assets, their provision of QMS units; alert the medical supply units for emergency situations, as well as medical supplies for transportation, etc. In addition, data are collected or updated on the availability of essential medicines in health care and pharmacy facilities in the area of possible emergency situations, and, if necessary, in the areas adjacent to it,
In cases where the predicted emergency situation is characterized by the presence of a radiation or chemical component, measures are taken to protect people and medical equipment from relevant damaging factors. The personnel is instructed on the organization of work in the conditions of radioactive or chemical contamination of the area, are trained in the use of individual means of medical protection, methods of decontamination and degassing of medicines and medical equipment.