These days, cooking is more than just an activity which is confined to the household kitchens. Becoming a chef is one of the high-flying career options as well as the dream of many. The skills of a chef these days are quite modern and it is combined with not only a passion but creativity as well as hard work. One needs to understand the art of cooking and many people look forward to it. To cater to the ever-growing market and the demand for professional as well as the competent chefs, a wide range of hospitality management courses are available which are offered by the top-notch colleges.
Becoming a chef doesn’t mean you will rule the kitchen, there is a hierarchy of chefs which categorizes your duty and let you bring out your own skills in your domain. The hierarchy goes like:
- Executive chef: Usually the executive chef is in control of everything which is happening in the kitchen. He or she is responsible for menu creation, personnel management as well as looking after the business aspects.
- Sous chef: The duty of the sous chef is to assist the chef and look after the menu planning, the costing of the food as well as the ordering.
- Expeditor: Expeditors generally don’t cook the food but they usually make sure that the food is plated in time for the waiters to serve the orders.
- Cooks and Assistants: The cooks and assistants have their own role in the kitchen. They are assigned to some specific duties inside the kitchen. They generally start from Commi3, then Commi2, Commi1, Demi-chef-de-partie and Chef-de-partie, and so on.
The eligibility criteria for the chef:
- Minimum 10+2
- Bachelor/Diploma in Hotel Management
- Certificate chef courses that last for 6-12 months.
- There are some colleges that choose candidates based on the entrance examination.
- The candidate must have an inborn love for cooking food. He or she must have an experimental bent of mind and the inquisitiveness to know about the science behind the different food ingredients.
- The candidate should possess thorough knowledge about the different varieties of food and cuisine as well as how the food is cooked, prepared, and presented.
- The candidate must also possess a friendly personality and have the ability to work in a team.
Becoming a chef is a dream come true for many. After completion of a diploma or the certificate course in hotel management, one can easily join a hotel as an intern. There are many colleges that offer the best placement opportunities to make your dream come true.
A trained chef has different employment avenues which are varied as well as interesting. Hotels as well as restaurants, air catering, food processing companies, etc., need chefs who can work with them and provide the guest with some amazing experience. An aspirant can also experiment in the area of food writing or star their own food chains.
To join this industry, visit the website of the top-notch colleges and go through the admission procedure. You can apply now to make your dreams come true.