You see the term bed liners is most commonly related to the protective coating applied on the truck beds or cargo beds of load-carrying vehicles. It is a sort of protective coating that protects the cargo and the truck cargo bed from extreme weather conditions.
It is the shield that is done on the inner side of the cargo loading area of trucks and load-carrying vehicles.
Apart from trucks, they are also used in fenders, bumpers, other commercial transport, heavy construction equipment, agricultural tools and devices, and even boats. For relevance, we will use only the term for trucks load-carrying vehicles only.
Types Of Bed Liners
Generally, There Are Two Types Of Bedliners-
- Sprayed-on ones
Let’s Understand How They Are Structurally Different
The drop-in ones are most commonly used as they are less expensive and easy to use bedliners for trucks. They can be installed quickly and removed easily as needed. They are fitted on the truck beds with the help of screws fitted on certain locations of the bed.
They are made of a highly durable plastic sheet having a high load-bearing capacity and are also extremely weather-resistant. Most of these bed liners are made of polyethylene composite.
They are a bit innovative in idea than the drop-in ones. The most interesting thing about these bed liners is that they can be further divided into a few types depending on the type of cargo and the amount of load to be carried.
These are high or low pressure, aromatic or aliphatic ones, and most of these bed liners are made of polyurea or polyurethane or from a solvent base.
Thus with so many options in hand, the spray-on ones have been more in demand. Apart from that, these bed liners are available in various colors and you can choose the best one according to your preferences.
What Are The Differences Between Drop-In And Spray-On Bedliners?
- Aromatic ones are the most inexpensive and preferred ones. Aliphatic ones are advantageous because the paint fades very little with time and thus the shine remains. Aliphatic ones can give different types of textures and you can choose the metallic ones and matty style finish.
- Spray-on bed liners are generally applied using rollers, spray machines, or even using air compressor machines.
- To apply a spray-on bed liner, it is recommended to take the help of an experienced person. You can contact the local garages or car painting and repairing shops for installing such bed liners.
- This is because the application of the spray ones depends on a lot of factors like the temperature of the surroundings, humidity, wind, and even the size of the nozzle aperture.
Why Would You Use Bedliners?
- The type of material that is used most commonly is polyurethane. It can be sprayed on different thicknesses based on the need and type of vehicle. The usual thickness varies from a quarter of an inch to 4 inches.
- The thinner coatings have a chance of cracking, so make sure that they are at least 2 inches thick if not more.
- If a Bedliner is correctly applied then it makes the bed of the truck stronger and prevents denting, scratching, and from your cargo slipping.
The type of bed liners is two and they play a major role in protecting your cargo from slipping or breaking due to excessive jerking. So select the best type of bed liner for your truck is important, you can search such bedliners online to choose the best one. Few of them come with a limited warranty and you can choose them to save your maintenance cost.