Electrical fires result in damages worth millions of dollars every year, sometimes these fires can also claim a few lives, which is why you should always take precaution to prevent the above from happening. Electrical fires are particularly difficult to put out using fire extinguishers and for this reason, you need an extinguisher with the capability to do so. If possible, get some training on how to put out an electrical fire, turn off the main power source and avoid an electrocution.
Electrical fires can spread very easily and quickly especially if combustible materials such as paper, wood and fabric are just nearby. Electrical fires are also known to reignite in cases where the power source was not eliminated. This makes them a serious threat to both human lives and property.
Below are some of the ways you can prevent these electrical fires:
Replace the old wiring
As your electrical wiring ages, it begins to degenerates especially if it has lasted for more than 20 years. If the wiring is not changed soon, it can be a recipe for electrical fires. Some of these old wirings were designed with the capacity to handle only a few electronics. Remember that we live in a digital era where everything is plugged into the sockets. Do you think the old wiring can handle such massive power outputs? No, it cannot, you will only overload it and within no time, you will be putting out electrical fires. So why don’t you replace the whole wiring instead of going through the trouble of extinguishing fires every now and then? Have an expert Electrician Melbourne come to your home and advice you on whether your wiring requires wiring or not. From there start planning on the specifics of replacing the old wiring.
Install an Arc Fault Circuit Interpreter
Arc faults, one of the leading causes of electrical fires in most homes, can be triggered by something as minor as loose wiring in a single outlet. This in turn causes overheating and eventually a fire starts. Fortunately, with an Arc Fault Circuit Interpreter (AFCI) you can detect even the slightest abnormality in the electrical system of your house. If you find an abnormality, you just have to cut off power to the specific area and this could go a long way in preventing electrical fires. This is because; cutting off the power reduces heat buildup in your electrical system saving you the trouble of having to put out an electrical fire. You can hire an expert electrician Melbourne to install an AFCI in your electrical circuit, this way you can reduce the chances of an electrical fire.
Avoid doggy electronics
Use certified electronics and appliances in your house. Ensure they have the standard mark of quality and have passed the safety test, since a loose connection could ignite a spark that could destroy your precious home. If the quality of a product is not clearly stipulated, please do not buy it for it is better to buy an expensive product than to buy a cheap product that will cost you your home.
Many electrical mishaps can happen in the span of one year, that is why it is recommend that have an electrician inspect your electrical system at least once a year. This way, the electrician can point out faulty areas and emerging issues that need fixing before it is too late. This annual inspections can save your home and even your life. All it takes is a single mishap and your house is on fire, which you could have avoided by hiring an electrician to inspect and fixing imminent issues. Know When Do You Need An Electrical Inspection & Why?
Label your circuit breakers
Check and label all fuses and circuit breakers in your house, so that in case of a fire you can easily locate and cut off power to the affected area.
Don’t overload the outlets
You do not have to plug in several extensions into a single outlet just to get your appliances fired up. It will give the power you need but it might also overload the circuit and cause an electrical fire. Therefore, maintain the number of appliances plugged into the outlets to just a few.
Turn off your appliances
When leaving your house turn off all the appliances if there is no one else in the premises. These appliances include fans, electrical heaters, televisions and ovens. There many instances where electrical fires have started from an appliance. It is therefore imperative that you power off all your appliances before you leave the house even if it is for a short period.
Ensure you protect your house from electrical fires in the best way possible, this way you get to keep your house intact with less worry about fires. However, even with the best precaution measures an electrical fire can still break out. If it does, don’t use water to extinguish it. Instead, use a fire extinguisher, as there is a very low chance of electrocution compared to the use of water.