Whether you are renovating your house or just replacing your flooring, timber makes an aesthetically appealing and stylish option to go for. The best thing about timber flooring is that it matches well with almost every type of home décor, including modern and traditional. However, choosing the best colour and texture is not just what you need to look for. There are several types of timber supplies that you can choose for your flooring, and you need to select the one that best suits your requirements and preferences. Let’s find out more about these options.
Options of Timber Supplies for Flooring
When it comes to choosing the right timber type for your flooring, here are the most popular options:
- Solid wood: Timber supplies made of solid wood can be bought in the form of wood planks. The best thing about this option is that it does not require installation of sub-flooring beneath it.
- Reclaimed wood: Available in the form of planks, boards and panels, these supplies are made from wood reclaimed from reclamation centres and salvage yards.
- Laminate: This kind of flooring looks like timber with a plastic layer over it. These supplies are laminated with a backing of the board. It is a durable and strong flooring option that can withstand a good amount of footfall and wear and tear. Several textured finishes can be given to this flooring option to match your interiors or your personal preferences.
- Vinyl: A huge variety of patterns, textures and finishes can be created using this flooring material. Since it is highly water-resistant, it proves to be a great choice for bathrooms and kitchens. It is cheaper than many other flooring materials as well.
- Engineered wood: This material contains hardwood or softwood board layers with a base made of plywood or veneered material. On top of it all, it contains a layer of wood you have selected as per your home interiors or personal choice. Engineered wood is strong, durable and stable, and proves to be an amazing replacement for solid wood.
Choosing the Right Timber Supplies for your Flooring
Now that you know the different types of timber flooring options, you must be feeling confused about which one to choose for your house. Here are a few factors you must consider while making your final choice:
- Design: Your flooring can define the entire look and feel of your space. So, decide the flooring design as per the kind of look you want in your décor. Is there any certain colour you want to match your interiors? Choose accordingly. Also make sure that the floor you are installing matches well with your walls, upholstery, furniture, etc.
- Area of installation: The area where you are going to install the flooring largely affects the supplies you choose. For instance, engineered wood is more suitable for areas receiving high footfall, solid wood works best for drawing rooms, while vinyl is appropriate for washrooms and kitchens.
- Footfall: The amount of traffic you would be receiving affects your choice too. Light colours may be suitable for areas with normal footfall while going for dark colours to handle high footfall. Also give more attention to durability, quality and maintenance of the timber supplies if you are going to receive a lot of traffic in the area.
Now that we have told you about all the factors you need to keep in mind while selecting your flooring, you can now make an informed decision regarding your timber supplies. However, whichever option you are choosing, make sure that the one you are buying is reasonably priced with no compromise on quality. Compare quotes from a few suppliers and give attention to the warranty that comes with it.