Netgear Wireless adapter is a hardware device that is commonly attached to a desktop or some other workstation device to allow you to connect to a wireless network system. Before the arrival of built-in WiFi consumer devices, wireless adapters are required to connect with a network. In this article walks we will take you through using the Netgear Genie Smart Setup to configure your Netgear wireless adapter for both WPA and WEP encryption.
Prerequisites Before configuring the wireless adapter
1. This particular article applies to the older Netgear wireless adapter models that use the Netgear Genie setup wizard. Latest Netgear adapter models and Netgear Genie WiFi extender use the same Netgear Genie smart setup wizard.
2. This article has assumed that you have already pre-installed the adapter installation process using the CD with the wireless network adapter. This will automatically install the Netgear Genie setup wizard software.
3. Windows 7 OS will automatically install the Netgear Genie setup wizard for some wireless adapters, with no installation CD required.
The handy method to connect a Netgear wireless adapter with an existing WiFi network is to use the Netgear smart genie wizard utility that comes along with your wireless adapter. The procedure to set up and configure the Netgear smart genie wizard is different based on the WEP or WPA wireless security.
Below are the steps on how to set up and configure Netgear wireless adapter using Netgear Genie Smart Setup software:
1. Tap on the Start and then go to All programs. Search for the Netgear Wireless adapter file/folder. After that choose Netgear smart genie wizard.
The time during Netgear range extender setup you need to visit the mywifiext.net login page and then mention Netgear genie login credentials to configure the range extender.
2. Netgear Genie smart setup wireless utility wizard should appear on your desktop screen.
3. Tap on the Networks tab.
4. Choose the wireless SSID network that you want to connect with and then tap the Connect button.
5. On the Settings tab, tap on the WEP present under the Security option and then choose to Enter key manually. Important Note: If the network key contains 10 characters, set it to 64 Bits. If the network key contains 26 characters, set it to 128 Bits.
6. Enter the 10 or 26 hexadecimal keys on the space mentioned.
7. In the profiles field, assign a name that you can easily remember in the future for your wireless network settings. Then tap on Save Profile.
8. Tap on Apply to save the configuration settings.
9. Once connected well wirelessly, visit the About tab and check the IP address.
Configuring Netgear Wireless Adapter using WPA Encryption
1. Click on Start and then go to All Programs. Now Choose the Netgear Smart wizard from the Netgear wireless adapter folder.
2. Netgear Genie setup wizard utility will appear on your desktop or laptop screen.
3. Tap on the Network tab.
4. Choose the wireless SSID network and then hit on Connect button that you want to connect.
5. On the settings tab, choose WPS present under the security option.
6. Mention the WPA password/passphrase.
7. Click on Apply button to validate the settings.
8. Once you get connected wirelessly, now visit About tab and check the IP address.
We hope that our this particular article section will prove quite fruitful for Netgear Wireless Adapter using Netgear Genie Smart Setup. If still, you find any difficulty regarding the wireless adapter or Netgear Genie WiFi extender, feel free to share with us through comments.