In today’s busy society, consumers are bombarded with hundreds of messages and notifications every day. Our attention spans have grown shorter and it is a lot harder for a brand to stand out and capture their intended audience. Retail signage is very important for bricks and mortar companies as it communicates to prospect customers who are physically in the proximity of their store.
As such, careful consideration should be taken when organising signage for your business, which is at the front and centre of your location. It should have a professional design, capture attention and help people get an initial understanding of the business or product.
Here are various tips that will be helpful for designing powerful and effective retail signage
- Keep it short and simple: Keep you sign simple with a succinct message so that it can be visible from the distance. Using lots of words for a retail sign will make it illegible. For quick readability, a handful of words are enough for the main message.
- Easy to read and understand: Make sure that the fonts you are using for creating signage are easy to read as well as understandable by the users. People of different ages will look through the window during day and night. So, it must be read easily. Stick to a small number of fonts that are clear and combine with nicely contrasted colours will draw the attention of your prospective customers.
- Test test test: It is always better to test your sign. There is a huge difference between the computer printout display and real print display. Firstly, make the prototype of design and then display it. Afterwards, test this display from outside the store to check whether it will seek attention or clients or not. Having 2 versions in the prototype phase can be useful and then do market research to see which people prefer.
- Find a quality company to make the signs: It’s one thing to come up with a good design but if the quality of the signage is poor, your retail store will suffer. Use a signage company that has the necessary expertise and experience for what you’re after.
- Use pictures: In order to grab the attention of customers, use company logos as well as attractive graphics (as long as they are relevant) to demonstrate the product or your business as a whole.
- Make use of you or yours: It is quite meaningful to use words including you or yours such as ‘You will be a star tonight’ and ‘Improve your looks with this’. Making it personal can make a huge difference on sales.
- Have fun: Coming up with a creative design is actually a fun activity. Make plenty of signs for your retail shop; go through it and edit wherever required and at last select the desired sign.
What not to consider during retail signage?
I’m sure you’ve seen plenty of examples of bad signage in your time. Some make use of very confusing messages that can have a negative impact on the retail store, essentially turning off customers. Also, some signage use pictures that do not accurately reflect the brand or product and so customers get confused about what the retail shop is trying to sell. Hence, try to avoid writing bad, meaningless and poor signage, bad quality pictures and more.
Creating a meaningful sign that is clear and on point will help generate more foot traffic and sales for your business. Developing creative and attractive signage will have a great impact on your shop. Thus, better to keep in mind these above-mentioned tips while creating retail signage for your brand.