It is always good to have some additional knowledge about certain methods that can come handy in need. So here is an article to inform you all about the different leak detection methods and techniques. To begin with, al leakage can be of three types, the Acoustic Leak Detection, Gas Leak Detection and Pipe Leak Detection. I’ll tell you in details about each of them.
1. Some new techniques of water leak detection: These aren’t exactly new, but these are logical and easy to implement.
- Check your water bill. If it’s more than what you pay every month, and if you are sure you haven’t consumed more water this month, you can be pretty sure there’s a water leakage involved somewhere.
- Damp air in the house: A water leakage has one inevitable sign, and that is damp and musty air wherever it happens. It’s easy to track a water leakage by just finding out where the smell is most intense.
- Wet spots on the floor: Where there is a water leak, there is a wet spot that’s ugly and discolored. This is easy to find, just look carefully through your carpets and find that spot.
2. How to do acoustic leak detection: These are hard to detect, but not impossible. You need to listen for any audible sound with the help of a ground microphone or listening sticks. To listen clearly, you must do it over or around the pipe, check for ground dampening, and plastic pipes. Most of the time, it’s plastic pipes that cause a leakage problem.
3. How to do the tracer gas leak detection: These methods are particularly easy.
- If you smell gas in your house, you know there are very few things that it can leak from. It can either be your car, or the gas in your kitchen or your refrigerator. If you have a generator in your house, it might be leaking, so good to have it checked as well. If there is a leakage from the refrigerator, there is a detection technique called the refrigerant gas leak detection.
- If there is any equipment in your home that makes leak hydrogen, there is a test for that as well; it’s called hydrogen leak testing. However, you would need to call the experts to perform the tests, and you should never do it on your own. IF you suspect a leakage in your kitchen, it’s best that experts handle it rather than you. Cooking gas is highly inflammable and you shouldn’t take a leakage in the kitchen lightly.
- It’s not necessary that a leaking gas is only from the above mentioned items only. Expired medicines that go sublimation emit gas as well. These are easier to detect though, if you smell anything medicinal in your home, at least you know where to look. It’s common in many homes that we forget to throw away medicines that have long crossed their expiry date. It would now be the time you clean your stock of medicines, throw away the spoiled medicines and stock in fresh packs.