Water heater is an essential requirement used in all households during the winters, for bathing, washing, and cleaning at home. Various water heaters are now displayed at showrooms selling household appliances. So, a house owner needs to have a clear idea about the best hot water system that can be fitted conveniently at his home. The budget, space available for installation, energy efficiency and cost of a heating device are the main factors that influence the choice of water heaters.
Common Types of Hot Water Systems Installed at Homes
- Electric water heater – Some water heaters run on electricity, based on the same principle as an electric kettle. Generally, the water is heated by the conventional currents of electricity and may be stored in storage tanks. In some heaters, water is instantly heated up to the temperature set on the device. The electrical hot water system is the cheapest and most commonly available in all local stores, though its use may be expensive in the long run.
- Solar water heater – Solar power is a renewable source of energy and it is far cheaper than electricity or any other source of power. Hence, a solar water heater is gaining popularity due to its environment-friendly nature and cost-effectiveness. The solar panels installed on the rooftop trap the solar energy and supply it to the water heater to heat up water. However, this heating system also needs to be connected with an electrical point, mainly for heating water at night when there is no supply of solar power.
- Gas water heater – Normal cooking gas is utilized in this hot water system for heating the required amount of water. Then that hot water is stored in a small tank and may be used later. Gas can be also used for heating water instantly, where no storage tank is needed. The gas is supplied to a burner, from where heat energy evolves and raises the temperature of the water.
- Pumping water heater – This water heater collects heat from the surrounding air and ground to heat the water stored in a tank. It may also run on electricity and needs only two-third of the energy consumed by an electric water heater. Hence, this heater saves energy and expense of homeowners, though the cost price of this appliance is more than other heaters. Since it draws atmospheric heat, it should not be kept at too cool or enclosed places.
- Storage tank water heater – The heater with a storage tank is the most common variety of hot water system. This tank can be of various capacities and chosen according to the requirement of the user. This insulated tank has two valves for controlling the pressure and temperature of stored water, which open to release the excess pressure and temperature of the water. It is highly preferred because of its affordable cost and easy installation process.
- Tankless water heater – This variety of water heater is also termed as on-demand heating system, as it can supply water whenever required. As this heater instantly supplies hot water, there is no need for keeping a storage tank. It is available in many sizes and buyers are advised to choose according to the number of family members who will be using the purchased appliance.
- Condensing water heater – If natural gas is used as the main source of energy in a household, then this hot water system is the best choice for that family. It draws gas from the gas pipeline to the funnel placed below the large-sized storage tank of this heater. It is energy efficient and convenient for large families.
People can make their life more comfortable during winter and avoid cold-related ailments by installing any suitable hot water system at their house and enjoy a ready supply of hot water.