Like everything that wears off someday or starts having problems, even your turbocharger is bound to show issues! And most of the time it’s not intentionally that you face a serious situation; but if the matter is ignored for long, the results can be tragic. You know the charger doesn’t come cheap. and replacing the entire thing can actually dig a big hole in your pocket. Thus, repairing it seems the best thing you could do to add a new life in it.
A failing turbocharger doesn’t give up on you suddenly. It does show some visible signs that are enough to alert you to act instantly. You would be facing poor acceleration, irregular or excessive exhaust of fume from the exhaust pipe, a loud shrieking noise, lack of boost, etc. These signs are a clear message that your turbocharger is ready to be replaced or should be immediately repaired.
Things that could repair your turbocharger making it work better- again!
After recognising the fact that getting the turbocharger replacement can be quite an expensive deal, you can try repairing the same on your own or through professionals. Both of them isn’t too taxing and can be easily managed if you follow the below ways to repair your turbocharger:
- Clean the charger — Sometimes, it’s just a build-up of debris that’s the main culprit behind the ill-performance of a turbocharger. Simply clean the exterior of the charger with a good solvent and check for the interior air panel. You can even replace the element that’s responsible for air cleaning for better convenience.
- Tighten the loose connections — One of the petty issues in your turbocharger may be just a loose connection. For this, just tightening up the connections after a thorough check up does the work.
- Change the air filter system — Sometimes, a dirty air filter system leads to oil leakage and problems near the compressor. Just replacing the same is required then.
- Check the boost controller — Your electronic boost controller has parts attached to it that can get worn out over time. This reduces the maximum power that’s drawn in a turbocharger. You can either replace that part or simply go for an electronic boost controller from Quickbitz. They provide the boost controllers for all kinds of engines and you’ll find everything you require for the same under the same roof with convenient payment and delivery options too.
- Check for hoses — There can be hoses in and out of the charger having some obstruction in it. You can simply check the same and remove if any of them is creating problems. But don’t forget to reattach the clamps after this step.
- Inspect for the oil drain line — This is often a common cause for a noisy turbo and should be checked immediately when the turbo shows issues. Check if the draining oil is thick and sludge that can be destructive. A replacement of the drain line can be needed here.
While repairing a turbocharger can be carried out by yourself, you should understand the need to call for a professional when it’s needed. If each of the above problems is solved as per the solutions given for the same, you’ll hardly require stressing about your cars’ performance and can enjoy better life of your engine again!