Duke University is a prestigious private research university in North Carolina widely known for its research facilities and top collegiate sports teams. Duke is looking for highly skilled students who are passionate about their course. Applicants have to choose between Trinity College of Arts and Sciences and Pratt School of Engineering while submitting their application form.
- Trinity College of Arts and Science: It offers about 100 programs in natural sciences, humanities, arts and social sciences. Students can either choose a pre-existing degree program or use the help of faculty advisor to design your own program of study.
- Pratt School of Engineering: The primary engineering majors offered are Computer Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Environment Engineering and Materials Science.
Campus Reel has information of Duke admissions requirements. Check if your meet their academic guidelines. Admission to Duke is getting more and more competitive over the years with the current acceptance rate being 5.7%.
- Four years of high school English
- Three years of Math, Social Studies, Science and a Foreign Language
- Calculus and Physics is recommended for students applying to Pratt School of Engineering
The application form is almost identical for Trinity and Pratt with extra emphasis laid on science and math for Pratt applicants. The application components include:
- $85 Application fee
- Applying using Common or Coalition Application
- One-page personal essay and one or two Duke-specific short essay questions
- Secondary school report
- High school transcript
- Two teacher recommendations from core academic courses. Pratt applicants should include recommendation from at least 1 math or science teacher
- Official SAT/ ACT score
- A CSA profile and FAFSA if the applicant is seeking financial aid
- An optional art supplements
GPA and SAT/ACT requirements:
The average GPA of admitted students is 3.85. Students are required to take up difficult scores and stay at the top of the class throughout. Start preparing for SAT/ACT at the earliest. Strive to surpass the average range of SAT and ACT which are 1490-1560 and 22-35 respectively.
It is mandatory to submit 2 SAT subject test scores. Pratt School applicants are required to score high at Math I or Math II. Since Duke accepts score choice for SAT, retake it if you are not happy with the score. Remember that Duke is looking for high scores.
Academic excellence alone doesn’t boost your chances of admission to Duke. Duke looks for students who shine beyond academics. Start participating in volunteer work, internships and clubs right from 9th grade. Find something you are passionate about and purse it. Displaying a consistent pattern in your application persona sets you apart from the sea of applicants.
As per Duke website they admit students who have the desire to make a difference, creativity, curiosity, an openness to activities, a healthy ambition and a sense of engagement. Get the advice of your guidance counselor during the admission process. A degree in Duke is guaranteed to leave your potential employers impressed.