Linksys routers come with a ping function for security reasons. When a host connects to the internet directly without using a firewall, it can be a security risk. But if you have a Linksys router, you need not to worry as it acts as a firewall for the network by default. Ping is essentially a computer network admin web interface to test connectivity to a particular host in the network using IP address or Linksys extender router login web page.
This tutorial will guide you with step-by-step instructions to use the ping command for testing the connectivity of your PC to the router. Find the operating system you use and follow the steps under that section to succeed in the task. Let’s dive in.
Important Note: All the below-given steps require the IP address of your router. So, find the IP address first and then proceed further. If you have ever changed the IP address and now don’t remember it, reset the router to default factory settings. Other than that, make sure to reset Linksys range extender as well.
Have a look at the steps to ping the Linksys router on Windows 8 OS:
- Turn on the computer properly.
- On the start screen, navigate to the search bar.
- Type the command prompt and hit enter.
- Use the ping command with the IP address of your router.
- See if you are receiving replies.
The ping test of Linksys router on Windows 8 completes with this step.
Consider the instructions highlighted below to ping the router on Windows 7:
- After the computer is turned on, connect to Linksys extender
- Click on the pearl button in bottom-left side of the screen.
- Launch a command prompt window.
- Type the ping command and press enter key.
- Find whether you are getting replies or not.
If yes, you are good to go. In another case, repeat the steps once as maybe you have missed any step by mistake.
It is quite old yet popular version of Windows. Most of the users run Windows XP even after the introduction of the newest updates. If you are also using the Windows XP operating system, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Switch on your computer accurately.
- Click on the run option given in start window.
- Go to command prompt.
- Write the ping command to continue.
- Finally, press enter key.
In the case of getting replies, you are all set to use the Linksys router. After that, connect it to the range extender and go to extender.linksys.com to configure the settings as per your choice.
Mac OS X
If you own an Apple device running Mac OS X, you can still use the ping functionality for your Linksys WiFi router. Walk through the instructions given below to get the job done:
- Power on your Mac device.
- Click on the spotlight icon given on the start screen.
- Next, hit ping option on the arising window.
- Once the ping screen appears, write the current IP address of your router.
- Hit enter key to complete the ping process.
Receiving replies on the white command prompt screen? If yes, the Linksys router is ready to be used by you. Simply make a connection between the extender and router and then access Linksys WiFi extender login page to ensure you are getting a high-speed internet connection.
The ping response must be good as only that, you can proceed further. Some common ping responses include reply from, unknown host, request timed out, hardware error and host unreachable or destination network. In case you receive one of such replies, then you are successful in pinging the Linksys router. But if the response is slightly different, contact our knowledgeable tech executives and get instant help.