Hand layup molding method is applied by FRP products India manufacturers for production of components of any dimensions like technical parts, bath tubs, storage silos, etc. However, this method is usually limited to the production of parts having simple shapes and need one face to have a smooth appearance.
In this hand lay-up process, experts impregnate resins into fibres by hands. The fibres are in the form of knitted, woven, stitched, or bonded fabrics. This is process that begins with the gel coating onto a polished and waxed mould.
Experts apply a coat of laminating resin using brush or roller. This resin is being mixed with hardener/catalyst to cure the product. This resin is then applied to the fiberglass to remove all trapped air with the help of roller. They continue doing this for next layer of the fiberglass, until they achieve the desired thickness.
Once layering process is done, they allow resin to cure. One can feel the reaction happens when the product is generating heat. Lastly, they remove the product from the mold and trim the frp product.
Useful tips for Hand Lay-up process
- You need to check that the mold is properly waxed or not. You must apply 5-6 layers of paste wax to the newly use mold. This will allow you to demold the product easily.
- To check and refer to material data sheet on ration for resin-catalyst. It is important to assure that laminating process can be finished prior you start gelling the resin. This time is known as resin gel time.
- You can use compress air for demolding the product.
- After using the brush or roller, you must quickly clean it with acetone to make the brush or roller usable for next time.
Major advantages and disadvantages of hand lay-up process
Hand lay-up process is used by FRP products manufacturers for making fiberglass. This method has its own benefits and side effects. Let’s discuss the benefits first-
- It is widely used for many years
- There are simple principles to teach
- The process involves low cost tooling when experts use room-temperature cure resins.
- There are wide variety of materials and their suppliers
Disadvantages of hand lay-up process are-
- It involves more skills because low resin content laminates are difficult to achieve without the use of excessive voids quantities.
- Health and safety considerations are there.
- Resins have to be low in viscosity so that experts can work on them with hands.
Suppliers of FRP products India have shared this post to make you aware of the process Hand Lay-Up used by manufacturers for making FRP. If you have any doubt or query, ask in comments.