Healthcare facilities present a demanding environment when it comes to fire safety. From hospitals and aged care facilities to dental clinics and veterinaries, the safety requirements in healthcare are very strict and the legislation and building regulations for these spaces reflect this.
Fire doors for the health sector are particularly important for containing flame and smoke in the event of a fire and ensuring the safety of patients, staff and visitors within. Our certified fire door sets are suited to both public spaces and specialist sectors that might experience heavy use and are built to an extremely high quality.
Let’s take a closer look at fire doors for healthcare.
What Are Fire Doors?
“Fire door” is a short term for a fire-rated door set. Fire doors consist of the door leaf, frame and associated hardware such as handles, locks, viewing panels and air grills. All of these elements will have been rigorously tested in accordance with the Building Code of Australia (i.e. AS1530.4) to achieve their fire rating. You can read more about this process here.
These kinds of doors are required to close and latch by themselves to avoid being left open. This is particularly important for what is known as ‘compartmentalising’ a fire, which contains flame and smoke while directing traffic to safety.
Why Do We Need Fire Doors In Healthcare?
Fire rated doors are an essential part of every healthcare facilities’ fire protection model. Every hospital, aged are facility or specialist in Australia’s requires fire rated doors: Here’s why:
• Safety – Fire doors save lives by stopping fire and smoke from spreading quickly and from entering places where patients or staff may get trapped such as corridors, specialist patient areas, primary care facilities, recovery rooms and general public areas. Heathcare buildings are complex and fire doors will both help contain the fire and direct occupants to safety.
• Building Preservation – Aside from protecting the people within them, fire doors are vital in protecting buildings by hindering the spread of fire and smoke throughout. They are also necessary for stopping fire from spreading to other buildings, which may be very important if a healthcare facility is located in a built up area. Furthermore, many healthcare facilities are heritage listed. Click here to read more on fire doors for heritage buildings.
• Compliance – Australia has strict rules in regards to fire safety in hospitals in all states. As a designer, architect, builder, installer, licensee, healthcare professional or building manager, it is very important to ensure that all fire rated doors and frames comply with Australian (and state) regulations in order to avoid serious penalties.
• Easy escape – Aside from the doors themselves, fire door signage helps to direct patients, visitors and staff to safety in the event of a fire.
What Kinds of Fire Doors Are Appropriate For The Healthcare Sector?
Healthcare facilities are highly functional buildings. While fire doors must ensure the safety of those within, they also need to facilitate easy and swift movement in corridors, passageways and between certain rooms/areas.
Here at FSE we provide a range of high quality fire doors to suit any healthcare facility:
• Hinged fire doors – Our standard hinged fire doors are perfect for use in healthcare facilities. Our product has been designed and engineered specifically for heavy duty use that also offer higher performance levels of security, longevity and sound attenuation.
• Swinging fire doors – Swinging double action fire doors are crucial in healthcare facilities where corridors have heavy traffic flow in both directions. They perform like any other fire door. However, the key difference is that they swing 180-degrees to allow traffic to move quickly and easily back and forth through the doors.
• Sliding fire doors – Sliding fire doors are quite common in larger spaces where, in the event of a fire, larger entry/exit points are needed to accommodate more people, but where the use of conventional side hung doors is impractical. They are also useful in hallways that require automatic doors.
• Radiation Shielded Fire Doors – Radiation shielding for doors provide a vital layer of protection on your doors to keep staff, clients and the general public safe from radiation. They are suitable in healthcare spaces where radiation is used: radiology and x-ray facilities, dental practices, research labs and veterinary clinics. These doors doors are lined with lead sheet and can include radiation shielded glass vision panels too.
Door Materials and Finishes For Healthcare Facilties
Healthcare facilties present a demanding environment when it comes to hygiene and infection control. Our doors manufactured using a range of materials, such as steel, aluminium, metal glass fibre and timber glass fibre and can be finished to suit the needs of any healthcare facility.
Fire Doors For Healthcare From FSE Special Purpose Doors
Fire doors are an essential part of any healthcare facilities’ fire protection model and the overall safety of staff, patients and visitors within. FSE Special Purpose Doors’ unmatched experience and expertise in the design, construction and manufacture of fire doors for healthcare provides our customers with exceptional peace of mind.