The increasing consumption of fuel for cars is the major issue of concern now-a-days. This dependence on oil has contributed to severe environment and economic problems, thus increasing interest in reducing petroleum use. People in countries like United States due to this are moving towards electric cars as; the fuel consumption is not required by such vehicles. Moreover, these cars are considered more advanced and are eco-friendly.
Electric vehicles are entering the showrooms again, to deal with environment and other troublesome issues. The interest in electric vehicles is on the rise throughout the global auto industry but idea is not a new one certainly. Electric cars came into the world in 1830s in America and with the advent of next century electric automobiles overpowered the gasoline vehicles. Vermont blacksmith Thomas Davenport was the first person to build an electric vehicle. Many such cars came into existence but then somehow people lost interest in them.
Again these vehicles came into play in the mid 2000s due to unexpected hike in petroleum prices. As of the present century there are numerous models available in the in the automobile industry. Some of which are Nissan leaf, Ford focus electric, BMW Active E, Coda, Honda fit EV, Mitsubishi I MiEV and many more.
Concept of electric cars
An electric car is propelled by one electric motor or more, using electrical energy stored in batteries or another energy storage device. Electric car is the one powered by electric motor rather than a gasoline engine. The electric motor gets its power by controller, which in turn gets its power from rechargeable batteries. There are mainly two kinds of electric vehicles: battery operated electrics and hybrid electric vehicles. The former run on electricity stored in batteries and the latter runs on electricity generated by onboard generating plants.
Driving an electric vehicle is very similar to gasoline vehicles. It travels the same distance with the same speed as the conventional vehicle does. The battery shuts down whenever there is a red signal, even for a minute or so. The driving range of electric vehicles depends upon the design features, weight and the type of battery it uses.
Advantage over conventional fuel vehicles:
- Environment friendly: Since these cars run on electric motors, the best news about it is that it is emission free. Unlike gasoline operated cars which pollute the atmosphere each time they are driven. With the cost exponentially increasing at the petrol pump, even the people who are least bothered about the environment are considering to buy electric vehicles.
- More efficient: These cars are thrice as efficient as gasoline cars. The efficiency is 40% higher as compare to petroleum cars.
- Drive silently: These cars produce zero noise pollution. Electric engines make no noise; the probable sound you would hear will be the sound of running tires.
- Low maintenance cost: This is because electric cars are way less complicated due to the absence of heavy moving parts. Also they do not require any oil refills and changes.
Disadvantages of electric cars:
- These cars are generally expensive to buy, some costing up to $50,000.
- It takes a little long to recharge a battery.
Despite the disadvantages of these vehicles the demand of electric vehicles are increasing day by day. Their advanced automatic transmission remanufacturing has made it very popular among masses. So, if you want to be a part of green living society and are completely serious about your environmental health, consider the advantages of electric cars. Future of these vehicles is definitely very bright if these become affordable for every consumer then it would leave the conventional vehicles far behind.