Every house has a garage, and most of the times; the garage is used for more than just keeping your car. Many people also use their garages as storage for their old things or for keeping the washing machine. The Garage Door Opener is an overlooked aspect of garages, and most people do not even consider learning much about it. Having the best Garage Door Opener is important to have a functional garage.
Nowadays, Garage Door Opener has become advanced. There are models that can be opened using a smartphone app. There are others that can be opened using a remote. So, things have become more convenient. There are many models available in the market, and you can choose the best Garage Door Opener.
How to Choose the Best Garage Door Opener?
To select the best Garage Door Opener for your house, there are many features that you must consider. You must look at the basic needs of your garage before you buy a garage door opener. Along with that, you also have to look at the installation method, the safety of the door opener, and its power.
This is the first feature of any Garage Door Opener that you must look at. You have to decide the horsepower based on the weight of your door and how large it is. If the width of your garage door is over 20 feet, then you must go for a ½ horsepower Garage Door Opener.
Horsepower determines the speed at which the door will open and close. You will have to decide whether you want an opener that lasts only for a few cycles or for a long time.
- 1/3 Horsepower: The garage door opener with this horsepower can be used with all garage doors given that the door is balances right and its weight is distributed evenly. Some people would not like to go for this horsepower as it does not have long term usage. This one is the cheapest horsepower and is normally used with single doors and lighter doors.
- 1/2 Horse Power: This horsepower is the most popular one and is able to lift most doors. If your garage has a carriage style door, then this horsepower is good for you. Also, this horsepower is suitable for both single and double door garages. The efficiency of the horsepower depends on whether the door is properly balanced or not.
- 3/4 Horsepower: Garage door opener with this horsepower is suitable for larger doors that are very heavy. If your garage has a wooden door, this horsepower will be fine for it. It will last for a long time, and it is durable too. however, the downside to this horsepower is that this kind is the most expensive,
Installing a Garage Door Opener
You might be good at DIY projects in your backyard, but installing a Garage Door Opener is a bit of a task. You have to decide whether you want to do it yourself or get a handyman. The whole process takes about 5 to 6 hours if you are doing it on your own.
Even if you decide to install it on your own, you will need some help. For example, when you have to raise the opener unit to the ceiling or when you are mounting it, you will need someone’s help. Other than that, you need basic skills such as using a ladder, socket, wrench, and a screwdriver.
If you think that you do not have the skills or time that is needed for installing a Garage Door Opener, you can simply get a handyman to do the job for you. It will cost you between 100 and 200 dollars. When you get the door installed, buy the door opener along with it. The same person who is installing your door can also install the door opener.
Different Types of Garage Door Opener
There are different kinds of Garage Door Openers, and everyone has different choosing criteria. For some people, the criteria are that the opening should be noise-free while other people look at durability and value. You can look at all the features of a door opener and choose the best for your needs.
Chain Garage Door Opener
If you are looking for a cheap garage door opener, the chain driven one is the most common one. There is a sprocket in the door along with the chain rides, and this makes the door go up and down. Maintaining this kind of door opener is easy if you have an idea of what to do. It has a few cons:
- The motion is very noisy since the chain is moving along the sprocket
- These kinds of door openers have to be maintained regularly so that they can run smoothly
- You will have to oil them from time to time so that the chain does not get rusty
Screw Drive Garage Door Opener
If you want the door opening operation to be quiet, you can consider this kind. These have fewer moving parts, and a threaded rod is used for opening and closing the door. The best thing about this kind of door opener is that it is low maintenance. Since there are few moving parts, there are few things you have to maintain. The cons of this kind are as follows:
- This door opens slower than other kinds of garage door openers
- It might make you lose some time when you are in a hurry
Belt Garage Door Opener
In this kind of garage door opener, a rubber belt is present and is used for opening and closing the door. It is less noisy than the chain drive opener. Belt driven openers last long because there is less rubbing of metal against metal and this keeps the vibration lower. There are a few downsides to this kind of garage door openers:
- They are expensive as compared to other kinds
- You have to make sure the belt does not break
Jackshaft Garage Door Opener
This kind is mounted on the wall along with the door. There is a DC motor in this opener which gives power for the torsion bar to be turned. This raises the garage door. This kind of garage door opener is very quiet, and it is good for those garages that have low ceilings. The major con of this kind is that they are expensive.
Direct-Drive Garage Door Opener
This kind of Garage Door Opener is the quietest as compared to others. There is a single moving part, which is the motor. This lowers the maintenance needed for the garage door opener. In this kind, there is an overhead rail in which a chain is embedded. The motor moves along this chain. Most of these openers have a lifetime warranty.
Lubricating your Garage Door Opener
If you do not lubricate your Garage Door Opener, the moving parts will wear out. Every day, debris is accumulating on your garage door opening, and this dust weight reduces the functionality of your garage door opener. If you keep lubricating your garage door opener, there will be less wear and tear. You will need the following things for this process:
- Motor oil
- Oil Can
You can look for the best lubricating oil and order it online. You can also get the oil from any hardware store. Once you have all the things ready, you can lubricate the door opener.
Remote-Controlled Garage Door Opener
Garage door openers operate differently. While some of them are remote-controlled, there are others that are operated with an app. If you have a remote-controlled door opener, you might run into trouble with it from time to time. There are a few trouble shooting tips for the remote-controlled door opener.
- Check the battery orientation. Sometimes, the battery is not properly placed. Install the battery correctly, and the remote will start working.
- Sometimes, there might be corrosion on the battery. Scrape the corroded part off with the help of a razor blade.
- It might be possible that the battery has run out. Replace the battery.
App-Controlled Garage Door Opener
Another option is the garage door opener that is operated with an app. This gives you the liberty to open and close your garage door without even getting out of your car. One of the best features about most of these apps is that they also let you confirm whether you shut the door before leaving the house.
The garage door opener apps can also be installed into Apple’s Home kit. If you do not have an app-controlled garage door opener, you can go for a bit of a traditional model. This has a keypad on it and is placed on the side of the door.
- Automatic garage door openers make the whole process convenient for you. The door opens while you sit in the car.
- You do not have to lift heavy doors.
- Automatic openers are safe for the elderly since they do not have to apply any force for opening the garage doors.
- These doors are more secure since security codes have to be entered to open the door.
- They do not utilize more energy, as opposed to the common misconception.
- The installation cost of automatic doors is more is traditional doors.
- The batteries have to be changed every year or every two years
- Another problem is that if there is a power cut, the car will be stuck inside the garage
- The extra cost is required for maintained of these doors since repairs are needed
Despite the cons, automatic garage door openers are becoming popular day by day. People are going towards advancements, and they want to integrate it into their daily lives. This is why app-controlled doors and becoming common. Everyone has a smartphone, so managing a garage door becomes easier.
The final choice for a garage door opener depends on your personal preference and the door type. You have to take the height, width, and weight of the door in consideration before you invest in a garage door opener.