A GRP Cable Tray is an industrial equipment which is used to carry the wires and heavy cables in the plant. It is named as GRP Cable Tray because these cable trays are made up of Glass Reinforced Plastic (GRP) material. It is a kind of composite substance which is obtained when fiberglass is reinforced with composite polymer material or plastic. Since the glass used is a fiberglass, therefore it is also known as Fiber Reinforced Plastic (FRP). Before the introduction of GRP cable trays, there were steel and aluminum cable trays in industries which were replaced due to several advantages of GRP cable trays over the typical steel and aluminum trays.
A GRP Ladder is of two types- Ladder Type & Chanel Type. A GRP cable tray is created by gathering diverse sorts of blends of reinforced cross sections, side runners, and rungs. The rungs are epoxy reinforced and secured to exhibit great strength against uniform burdens. While a GRP Channel type cable Tray is cuboid-pipe-shaped tray specially designed for lightweights.
Here we will discuss about GRP cable trays manufacturing process. GRP cable trays are manufactured as per different industrial standards. The manufacturer should keep these standards in mind while manufacturing the cable trays. These standards predict the strength, electrical conductivity, thermal conductivity, and durability of the GRP cable trays. And the ladder type cable trays are supposed to have a high strength and low thermal conductivity.
The other physical characteristics of GRP cable trays are listed below:
- High Strength to Weight Ratio: The Ladder type trays are required to be light in weight and high in strength. And should bear maximum weight on them. In an industry, the weight of cables and wires is very high and therefore, it should have high strength.
- Corrosion Resistant: The Cable Trays are corrosion resistant and therefore are undoubtedly used in chemical industries. Here, the iron and aluminum generally corrode and have a short life. The GRP Cable trays are used in other industries also where there are chances of corrosion.
- Low Thermal Conductivity: GRP cable trays have very low thermal conductivity and can bear the heat of high temperatures.
- Fire Retardant: GRP cables are highly resistive to fire and can avoid fire accidents when any wire short circuited inside them.
- High Durability: Since the GRP cable tray has high strength and is highly resistive to corrosion, it can be used for many years and thus have high durability.
- Excellent Electrical Insulation: Being a fiberglass plastic material, it has a very good electrical insulation, which makes the chances of short-circuit or shock to the workers nearby to zero.
- Easy Installation: Since the GRP Cable trays are light in weight and are pre-drilled, it makes their installation in the plants very easy and comfortable.
Thus GRP cable trays has found its usefulness in industries and plants to carry cables and wires and is now used widely in the industries.