Writing is a passionate hobby where words often flow from the heart rather than the pen. No matter how many tips you know, chances are you may not have taken all into consideration. This can lead to a lot of loopholes in your writing which may need to be fixed later. However, the dilemma remains on how to get genuine feedback on your writing. In this article, Handy explains how to get honest feedback on your content.
Tips & Tricks
- Join forums or sites for critique – There are a lot of sites that are engaged in dealing with feedback by the members of that group. Few sites also want you to reciprocate the gesture by sharing your opinion about others’ work while they help you out with yours. This proves to be a good platform as you get to read fresh pieces from amateurs and develop a new angle of approach for writing. Furthermore, an honest opinion from people who do not know you personally becomes an important tool to improve yourself.
- Join writer’s workshop group – Join a workshop group in your local area as spending time with like-minded artists helps a lot to develop a keen knowledge in your area of interest. Sharing your work with them in an effort to get their perspective might pose to be invaluable advice to you. There might be areas of concern that could have totally evaded your mind while writing, that would otherwise be crucial to your work. Getting to know these through the informal workshop group members would not only help to perceive your flaws but also have an inspiring effect on you.
- Get your work into good shape – When you seek feedback from people, respect their time by cleaning up typos or errors that are obvious. The first draft usually has a lot of problems. So, it is best to review it first yourself and submit only the edited versions to other people. Getting homework done from your end shows that what you seek is others’ views and not really their connection of minor things.
- Offer a deadline– You cannot expect anyone to go through your manuscript immediately. At the same time, you cannot leave it with them for an unlimited period of time. So, it is best to offer a deadline to the readers so that they respect your time and theirs as well. If you feel that your book is a lot of words, you might offer to seek feedback on a few chapters first. Let the readers go through it and see if it is interesting enough.
- Approach around four to eight people – Reserving opinion to just a couple of readers might make it a biased objective. So, approach around four to eight people to get a true feel of your work from different points of view. This will help you to sift through feedback, as common ones need to be dealt with first and foremost.
According to Handy, writing and getting it reviewed is not an easy task for most people. You also have to select people carefully for getting feedback. Still, you should not lose hope as you may get a lot of suggestions that are worth incorporating by trying to get feedback.