If you want to decorate your garden with shrubs and hedges, you must also know how to cut and prune the hedges, by hedge trimming. You can use either the petrol hedge trimmers or ask some gardener to trim your hedges to a certain height, so that they do not look unruly. Hedge trimming can be best done during the dormant period, when the growth of hedge is stunted to some extent.
The timing for trimming:
It is important to maintain a schedule for hedge trimming. Usually, the hedge has to be trimmed at least twice or thrice a year. If you have the plant leylandii growing on the hedges, then it will need regular trimming, as they tend to overgrow pretty fast. For flowering plants on the hedges, trimming has to be done after their flowers fade. February is regarded as the best month for hedge trimming.
The right ways for hedge trimming
- The hedge should be trimmed from the bottom to the top portion and always note that the lower part of the shears has to be used or else, you will not get a defined finish.
- Always keep a tapering portion at the top because it will give a strong hold to the hedge against snowfall. You should do it a little bit and not try to do it at one go.
- It is always advisable not to opt for the lollipop look until and unless you have topiary. First cut the large branches out, only then do the fine trimming. When you do the trimming, ensure that the base is kept wide so that the plant and the leaves get good sunlight.
- Hedge trimming should also be done, keeping in mind the coiled twigs which grow out in an disproportionate manner. For trimming tools, get a good hand pruner for fine tuning of the hedge but for cutting long branches, you will need shears with saw-like blades. Lopping shears are best for thick branches though.
Professional hedge trimming service can also be tried
If you are unable to find enough time to maintain your garden, it is best to hire the services of professional hedge trimmers. Either you can choose to call them as and when you require or sign them up for a continued service, which means, they can undertake the hedge maintenance work for a year or so as per what you both have agreed upon.
Since these are professionals with a good understanding of plants, they can also guide you on when and the type of trimming required. That means no matter what kind of plants grow on the hedges, they will be maintained and pruned well as per the requirement.
Advantages of professional hedge trimming services:
- Another advantage of professional hedge trimming service is that they will also pick and pack the waste.
- That way, you do not have to worry about cleaning up after the trimming. They can also be approached for different trimming service is it, shaping of the hedges, or thinning or renewing of the hedges and so on.
Professional hedge trimming services know how to wear safety gloves and glasses while trimming, and they will also advice you not to work in inclement weather, as you can fall and injure yourself while trimming hedges. Hedge trimming is a necessity for the plants and for your garden. Hence you should take it up seriously if you wish for a beautiful garden. Plants have to be nourished well and all that you need is few minutes from your schedule. Remember, if you look after the plants and hedges well, they will also return the gratitude by giving you fresh air, a happy sight to behold and a healthy environment for you and your family.