If you are planning to bring a new kitten home where you already have a canine pet – things can get challenging there. Apart from the trouble of some cats pee on beds or their usual littering thing, you will have to do a connection of the cat to your pet dog. To avoid quarrels, and the chase fights of course!
Above all, to keep your home a safe place! XD
Caution: If you are new with the pet behavior and handling, then it would be better to hire a pro for this. Because there are way more things to note apart from following a step by step guide. I hired a pet care assistant myself, and the following guide aims at giving you a brief idea only.
Steps that you can follow for introducing a New Kitten to your Dog:
- Before you start all the introduction part, let both the pets be confined to an enclosed place for a while. Make them feel cared, loved, and comfortable.
- After a few days, give both of them some exposure with a single or a solid door. During this time, both the cat and the dog won’t see each other, still, they will hear the noises and smell. Give one less than a minute exposure to each of them, and then gradually increase the exposure.
- Next, let them see each other at a distance. You can keep a barrier like a gate or a screen in between. If your dog is an active one, keep them leashed. This distance watching will let both the parties in knowing each other at their own pace.
- You can repeat the same thing for more number of times, and slowly increase the length of the session.
If there are no stress or anger thing on either side, let the dog meet the cat and have an eye-contact. Keep your dog in control, and calm them down when the cat stands in a more visible way.
- Now, look at how your cat and dog behave as they are placed in one room, with the barrier. If you find no angry responses from either side, slowly take off the barrier from the center. Make sure that the leash is still on!
- Let your kitty interact with all the family members, and also keep them in the dog’s surrounding too. That’s all with the training.
Special Note: Cat, as well as Dog, change their behaviors as per the surrounding. For example, cats may feel more secure and comfy on their fun & adorable Shark Cat Bed. But as they get outdoors, all the wider exposure to new elements may make them fearful.
Whereas, the dog may feel free and would chase around the cat in the outdoors.
Keep a close look at the surrounding and their respective behavior with changing places. This will help you in understanding both the pets in a better way, and also in building the bond!
In this manner, both of them will start understanding each other, and they will know like ‘okay, it’s our new family member, and I should not harm them’!
The guide did work for me, what’s your story? How did you plan and introduce the cat to your dog or vice-versa? Let us know in the comments below!