There is a significant difference between an Australian Permanent Resident and an Australian citizen. Those on Australian Permanent Residency enjoy most of the right and entitlements of a citizen.
But there are additional benefits that citizenship entails.
Australian citizens enjoy the rights of automatic entry to the country. They have voting rights in elections, can apply for the federal government and defence jobs, and more.
That is why many Australian Permanent Residents want to apply for Australian citizenship. It is usually considered to be the next logical step after they get Australia PR.
‘How to apply for citizenship in Australia’ is, therefore, an often-asked question.
In this blog, we will cover the following:
- Process for citizenship application
- Australian citizenship requirements
- List of necessary documents
- Citizenship test
HOW TO APPLY CITIZENSHIP IN AUSTRALIA?
Consider the following points—
- Submit necessary details part of citizenship application and pay appropriate fees.
- Department of Home Affairs authorities will contact you after submitting it.
- You can attend the citizenship ceremony if they find the details satisfactory.
- Take the citizenship pledge.
HOW TO BECOME A CITIZEN?
You can become the country’s citizen through birth, descent or a grant. But, one of your parents should be a citizen/PR holder. If he/she is a citizen, and if you were born overseas, you could seek citizenship. As a non-citizen, you can apply for Australian citizenship rights.
It is also interesting to meet specific citizenship requirements listed as follows—
- Be a PR holder
- Age should be over 16 years
- Stay in the country for 4 years including one year as a PR individual
- Good character
- Be aware of your privileges and responsibilities of a citizen
Apply for Australian citizenship with A List of Documents
It is necessary to submit all proofs as part of the evidence. They will support your application. Among the details include—
- Identity proof: Hand over a document consisting of signature and photograph. Also, submit documents such as passport, license proof or identity card of Australia
- Permanent Residency: All it takes is submitting a document copy. The copy should state that you are a legal resident and have been residing in the country for the past 4 years. If you have a rental/lease agreement, you can submit a necessary proof. Forward gas, water or electricity bill, insurance letter, bank statement and Medicare documents.
- Birth name or date of birth: A copy of birth certificate consisting of all details are necessary.
- Photocopy: Submit passport-size photocopy. The photocopy has to be of the last six months. If required, submit proof of your parent or spouse who is an Australian citizen.
It is vital to get Australian PR with several benefits in store. If you pass the citizenship test and become a citizen, here are the benefits you will receive:
- Exercise voting rights in Federal, Territory or state elections
- Apply for federal government and defence jobs
- Participate in Australian politics
- Apply for an Australian passport and re-enter the country freely
- Seek consular help and support when overseas
As a part of the criteria, every applicant has to pass the citizenship test. For this, knowledge of the Federal structure of Australia, its history and values, is essential. Besides, the test also assesses the applicant’s English language abilities. As a citizen, maintain the integrity and express your intention to work and live in the country.
Are you overwhelmed by the complexities of Australian immigration before filing your citizenship application? Get in touch with our Australia immigration consultants for easy application.