We love to buy curtains for our home that match the interiors, fall into our budget and look stunning and classy. The overall experience of buying new curtains for our home is fulfilling and exciting and we look forward to renewed fresh interiors. At the same time, we need to understand that in addition to the curtains being beautiful and in our budget, we also need to think about their maintenance and ease of cleaning.
Why is Cleaning Curtains Important
Curtains gather a lot of dust over a period of time and they start looking dull and lose their shine and grace. Moreover, with kids or pets at home, you are more likely to have stains on your curtains through touch. Kids often play inside home with ball or other toys that may touch or bounce on the curtains and cause stains. And if you have pets at home, then cleaning of curtains is absolutely mandatory because they gather germs and bacteria that pollutes the indoor air and makes it unfit for family members.
Hence, curtains should be cleaned at least twice every year to keep them fresh looking and free from germs and stains. However, it depends what cleaning method you choose like machine wash or dry cleaning your curtains. If you are unsure, always hire Best Curtain Cleaners in Melbourne to make sure your fabric is safe with no color discoloration or fabric shrinkage.
Key points to remember while buying a curtain
It’s important to keep a number of points in mind while buying a curtain in addition to the beauty and budget. The curtains should be easy to clean and maintain because the curtains are bound to get dirty after a few months and then they will lose their beauty if you don’t wash them. And if the curtains are cumbersome to wash, you are tend to postpone the cleaning more and more.
Here are a key points to remember while buying a curtain-
- You should be very clear on the purpose of buying the curtain. Is the curtain going to be just a piece of decorating a particular area of your home or is it meant to block excess sunlight. If it is the first case, you can go for sheer or lace curtains that beautify the room or any area of the room to a great extent. Sheer and lace curtains look strikingly classy and beautiful. On the other hand, if you want to block excess sunlight, then you should go for double lined curtains that come in various colors, patterns, solids and fabrics.
- Sheer curtains add a lot of beauty to the room but at the same time they are very delicate and one needs to be careful while cleaning them or maintaining them. Not that it is difficult, but we need to be careful or else we could destroy the fabric.
- If you have kids at home, avoid using sheer or lace curtains because kids tend to run here and there and they might pull at the curtain ripping off the lace.
- If you are opting for heavy velvet type curtains, though they add a classy look but they will have to be dry cleaned by professionals. Hand wash or machine wash is not meant for such type of curtains.
- Single lined or double lined cotton or polyester curtains are much easier to handle and can be machine washed at home using a good detergent and of course, following the washing instructions.
- Always bear in mind while buying curtains whether you can easily afford the professional curtain cleaners every time. If the answer is yes and budget is not a problem, you can opt for heavy curtains. But if you think it would prove costly in the long run to hire professionals every time, then opt for the curtains that you can easily hand wash or machine wash at home. It will save you a lot of effort and money.
Curtains that are well maintained and fresh and clean, make the home a lively place to live in. So, it is always best not to compromise the ease of maintenance and cleaning over beauty or look.