Netgear Nighthawk AC3000 EX8000 X6S tri-band WiFi mesh extender comes with a USB port through which you can connect USB storage devices e.g. hard drives, flash drives or a printer. However, do not connect PCs, USB modems, DVD drives, and CD drives to the extender’s USB port. Prior to connecting any USB device, make sure you have set up your Netgear EX8000 extender via mywifiext.net correctly.
This post will make you aware of the process to connect, access and configure a USB storage drive with your Netgear Nighthawk EX8000 WiFi range extender. Let’s dig a little deeper.
USB Device Prerequisites
Netgear Nighthawk EX8000 extender works with the most USB-compliant external hard and flash drives. There are some USB external hard and flash drives which require you to load the drivers onto the PC before it accesses the USB storage device. The EX8000 isn’t compatible with such USB storage devices.
Netgear EX8000 AC3000 extender provides support for the below-outlined file system types for full read/write access:
- NTFS with compression format enabled
Connect USB Storage Devices to the Extender
With the ReadySHARE function, you are able to access and share the connected USB storage devices. Here’s over to the required steps:
- First of all, ensure that you are using the latest version of Netgear extender firmware.
- Power on your WiFi range extender.
- Now, put the USB storage device into the extender’s USB port.
- In the event that your USB storage device makes use of a power supply, remember to connect it.
- After connecting, it may take around 2-3 minutes until it gets ready for sharing.
In this way, you can connect any USB storage device, be it a USB printer, hard drive or flash drive to your Nighthawk mesh extender model EX8000. However, if you come across any type of technical issue during the process, get connected with the experts right away.
Access a USB Storage Device Connected to the Extender From a Windows PC
So you are done with connecting a USB storage device to your EX8000 extender! But do you know how to access it on your Windows PC? We have got your back! Just these simple steps and you are done:
- Firstly, insert your USB storage device into the extender’s port.
- Use the proper power supply while connecting the storage device to your range extender.
- Run the command prompt on your computer.
- After that, type \\readyshare and click on Ok button.
Once done, a new window will open showing the files and folders stored on your USB drive.
Access a USB Storage Device Connected to the Extender From Mac
Own a Mac OS device? If yes, go through the instructions mentioned below to access the storage device from your Mac:
- Connect the USB storage drive to your Netgear Nighthawk AC3000 X6S EX8000 extender.
- Apply a fluctuation-free power supply to the extender.
- On your Mac OS device, click on ‘connect to server’ option.
- Now, click on the Guest radio button.
- Input the user ID and passphrase.
- Lastly, click on the connect button.
A popup window will come out on the screen. From here, you can see the data stored on your USB drive. In case you find any trouble while accessing the USB drive, be certain that the extender is running on the latest firmware version. If not, update it to the newest one via mywifiext web address. All you have to do is simply open a web browser and visit the said web portal. Once done, click on the firmware update option.
That’s everything you need to know about connecting, accessing and configuring your USB storage devices to the Netgear Nighthawk EX8000 WiFi range extender. If you have more questions, drop them down in the comments box below.