If you have just relocated to Bournemouth in the beautiful British county of Dorset you are most likely surrounded by amazing gardens and highly competitive neighbours. These parts of the UK are famous for their annual flower festivals and garden competitions. Maintaining a garden takes time, effort and lots of love — for what you’re doing and for the plants. If you are finally ready to take part in the Bournemouth garden madness, we will help you create the most stunning flower garden in the whole region.
The Most Important Gardening Factors
Before buying and planting your future flowers there a couple of very important factors that you need to consider:
- Direct sunlight;
- Water drainage;
- Proximity to water;
- Soil structure;
You must consider all of them when you are choosing the perfect spot to plant your future garden.
Make a Map of Your Garden
In order to find out how do you want your garden to look you need to make a map of the current condition of your yard. Mark all existing trees, bushes and shrubs. Then add the patios, the kids play area, etc. when you are finished you will have a pretty good picture of the free space you are left with. Now take into consideration the listed above garden factors and determine where is the most convenient spot to plant your garden.
Time to Make a Decision
After you marked the perfect place for your future garden, it is time to think about the design. There are a couple of things that you can do to collect ideas:
- Go and visit your neighbours, and even better organise a little trip and go and visit the gardens of the winners of the previous Bournemouth gardening competitions.
- Look for inspiration in books, magazines, TV shows and on the web.
- Go to your local garden centre or make an appointment with one of the many gardening companies in Bournemouth and ask for advice and suggestions.
It Is Building Time
Congratulations you have finally decided what kind of a garden you want. Now it is time to build it. Here are the basic things you need to consider while constructing the perfect garden:
- Place a reasonable budget and try not to spend too much. Almost everything can be made with DIY materials.
- Make a list of plants that you want to grow and mark the different flower beds on your map. Now think about how will you make the borders and the patios. Choose the best surface according to your garden theme — pavers, gravel or bark.
- Consider placing some decorative elements like fences, fountains or garden sculptures.
- Think about what trees and shrubs you want to plant. It is important to bear in mind the height of your future plants and the shade they are going to create.
- Don’t forget that most trees and bushes lose their leaves in the autumn which means that there is going to be a lot of foliage. You need to be able to clean all of it without harming the neighbouring plants.
- You can always make room for a lovely sitting area from where to enjoy the view of your beautiful garden.
Planting Your Bournemouth Garden
After everything is done, it’s finally time to plant your flowers. Bear in mind the following specifics:
- Consider the season and the type of plant. You might have to wait a whole year before seeing some flowers bloom.
- When planting, start with as wide a flower bed as possible. You will need space to plant more and more flowers in the years to come.
- Do a research and be sure that the plants you are growing are not poisonous.
- All flowers must be able to coexist together.