There are two ways that you can easily regain access to your Yahoo Mail account in case its security has been compromised. While both the method includes creating a new password, the first method includes changing your password and works only if you are able to access your hacked account. On the other hand, the second method is perfect if you are unable to access your hacked account. Both the methods are described below. Follow the one which suits your situation and recover the access of your account.
Steps to Recover your Hacked Yahoo Mail Account
Change Password (when you are able to access your account)
- Sign into your Yahoo Mail account using the email address and the password which you usually use.
- Once logged in, click on the Gear icon, located on the top-right corner of your Yahoo Mail page and select Account info option from the drop-down list. A new window will open.
- Click on Account security option from the left column. You may be prompt to enter your password. Do so to get to the Account security
- Under Account security page, click on the Change password
- Enter the new password on the next page and click Continue.
- This will eliminate the hackers from having access to your account.
If Yahoo users need to know more about – How to fix Yahoo error 18?
- Go to the sign-in page of Yahoo and enter your email address. Click Next.
- Select I forgot my password
- On the next page, you will see one of the account recovery options (Phone number or email address).
- If you recognize the option, click Yes, send me an Account Key, however, if you don’t recognize or don’t have access to the given option, click I don’t have access to this email address to get the another recovery option.
- Enter the Account Key which you receive on the next page and click Verify
- If verified successfully, you will be directed to the next screen. Here, click on the option Create a new password.
- Enter the new password in the provided field and confirm it.
- Now, you will be able to gain the full access of your Yahoo Mail account.
In order to keep your Yahoo Mail account protected against future possibilities of hacking, it is suggested to activate two-step verification feature on your account. Here are the steps to enable two-step verification:
- Sign into your Yahoo Mail account and click on the Gear Select Account info option from the drop-down list.
- Under Account info, click on the Account security
- Under Account security option, click on the slider button next to two-step verification.
- Simply follow the on-screen instructions to enable two-step verification.
If you need connect with Yahoo customer care helpline toll free phone number.
Activating two-step verification feature in your Yahoo Account will send a security code when you or anyone will try to sign into your account from a new device.
So this is how you can recover your Yahoo Mail account and keep it secure against hacking.