Updating the software plays a vital role as it updates the new features added by the company to the same subscription without forcing the users to buy a new one. McAfee maintains a separate team for deriving the faults or for detecting the bugs in the McAfee antivirus software that could be used by the malicious users to harm the device or data of the users in several ways. Sometimes the users may common errors or issues while updating the McAfee antivirus software on the device through McAfee.com/Activate. And one such common updating error is “McAfee cannot update your Software” that the users face while updating the McAfee Security Center.
The“McAfee cannot update your Software” issue is usually caused due to the corrupted or incorrect registry files of the Windows system. As the error occurs on the device, a message box is displayed on the screen that shows the text message of “Update Problem”.
McAfee cannot update your Software. Please check your Internet connection (registry issues).”
For resolving the “McAfee cannot update your Software” issue, follow the stepwise procedures mentioned below:
Method 1: Execute the McAfee Virtual technician (a tool that automatically fixes the issues of the McAfee products.)
- Access the official McAfee Activate website.
- From the homepage of McAfee, tap the “Troubleshoot and Repair” page.
- Now, click the “Download and Run” button.
- After this, the .exe file of McAfee Virtual Technician gets downloaded to the “Downloads” folder (by default) of the computer.
- The users may save the mvt.exe file to the desktop or any other location as per their convenience.
- Once the mvt.exe file gets successfully downloaded to the device, double click the file and then, tap the “Yes” button when prompted.
- Now, wait till the McAfee Virtual Technician tool gets installed to the device.
- After the tool gets installed, execute it for detecting all the McAfee issues on the device.
- If any of the issues are detected then, click the “” option for fixing all the issues.
- Else, close the MVT tool by clicking the ‘X’ button on the user console.
Method 2: Repair the Windows Registry Files, Manually
- For repairing the registry files on the Windows System, launch the cmd with all the Administrative abilities or authorities.
- To do so, launch the “Start” menu by clicking the “Start” button on the taskbar.
- Now, in the search bar, type the ‘cmd’ and from the search results select the cmd.exe by right clicking on it.
- And then, click the “Run as Administrator” option from the drop down menu.
- After this, type the following commands as shown below in the cmd window and hit the ‘Enter’ key after each one of them:
- cd program files
- cd mcafee
- cd msc
- cd mcsubmgr
- dir /b
- Note the value returned after the last command.
- Now, utilize the ‘cd’ command for changing the directory. (For example: if the returned value is 11,0,669,0 then, type cd 11,0,669,0 and hit the ‘Enter’ key.)
- Now, type ‘regsvr32 /u mcsubmgr.dll’ and press the ‘Enter’ key
- After this, click ‘OK’.
- Again, type ‘regsvr32 mcsubmgr.dll’ command and hit the ‘Enter’ key.
- And then, click ‘OK’
- After this, exit the Windows command prompt.
- Now, check the updates of the McAfee antivirus by right clicking the ‘M’ icon on the taskbar.
If the issue “McAfee cannot update your Software” still persists on the device then, the users may call the McAfee.com/Activate Support number, to get an instant assistance for resolving the issue.