Several studies suggest that sitting in one place for too long can result in many different complications. The health issue can be even worse if the chair you are using is not designed correctly or is an uncomfortable one. Sitting in one place for too long is unhealthy and can affect the cardiovascular and metabolic systems. Some of the common issues associated with using a chair that is not designed well include weight gain, cardiovascular & gastro disorders as well as diseases like diabetes.
One of the leading issues of using a bad office chair and using your computer involves long hours of sitting. Although it may be harmless to sit since it does help one rest, doing so distributes the majority of the weight to buttocks, thighs, and back. One of the major reasons for a bad posture is not sitting in the right manner for long hours in front of our computer screen or using a chair that is not very comfortable.
The monitor should ideally be at chest level and an ideal chair should allow you to adjust the high and armrest to ensure the upper spine is arched backward and the lower spine is arched forward. This article explains how employees are likely to be more productive if the office furniture is designed well, especially the chair and it is a must-read for one searching for office chairs in Sydney.
Productivity Benefits A Good Office Chair
There is a high percentage of office workers with a desk job working approximately 40 hours a week. If the seating arrangement is not up to the mark, it can result in a great deal of discomfort and lead to loss of productivity. On the other, using a well-designed chair can encourage an employee to be more productive.
Here are some of the benefits of using an ergonomically designed chair:
- It encourages easy movement and does not result in any postural problems thus reducing the number of sick days of an employee.
- A chair that supports dynamic seating will support constant movement of the employee, which besides being healthy for the employee also helps increase level of concentration, prevents fatigue and decreases the error rate.
- A good chair allows you to sit correctly ensuring you are free from stress or tension and also goes a long way to prevent numbness of any kind. Being stress-free ensures you have high concentration and improves your performance.
- A well-designed chair that supports your lower back will ensure you do not suffer from back pain and focus on the tasks at hand.
- It is important to prevent musculoskeletal disorders which are possible on a well-designed chair. It also helps improve flow of oxygen and blood throughout the body making one more efficient.
- Working long hours on a chair that does not cause a backache or result in bad posture and one that is adjustable in many ways since it is ergonomically designed, will ensure you can work for long hours on your desk; thus making you more productive.
Planning your Office Furniture Correctly
The employees at any office tend to spend approximately 5 hours a day at their desk either working on their computers or being involved in desk work. Besides being seated in the office for long hours they spend a great deal of time being seated during commuting as well as at home. It is thus important to put some thought in the design of your office furniture in Australia.
Some of the features that are important for you to have in office chairs include adjustable armrest that can be placed in the optimal position fit for activities like typing, etc. Your legs should always be at a 90-degree angle, ensuring your feet rest flat on the floor. A chair with adjustable height and well-designed will ensure this type of leg posture is possible making blood circulation more efficient. It will also ensure your eyes are lined up with the monitor; this helps one concentrate better and prevents a bad posture.