Cleaning and maintaining jewelry is important in order to maintain the luster and value of the jewelries all through the life. Cleaning jewelry at home with different jewelry cleaning products can be a good option as it save money and time. However, there are some important points that one needs to remember while cleaning jewelry at home. These simple and practically possible dos and don’ts help you to do the cleaning task in much better and appropriate way. At the same time, this also helps you maintain and keep the jewelry in a better way without getting tarnished. Here are some dos that you can follow to keep your metal jewelry like gold and silver clean and maintained:
It is advisable to keep your gold and silver jewelry away from other metal to prevent reaction and scratches.
- Keep jewelries in plastic zip bags as they will not allow the inflow of air and reduce tarnishing.
- Handling the jewelry gentle to avoid bending.
- Be careful about choosing the dips and pastes jewelry cleaner before cleaning.
- Make sure you read the entire manufacturer’s warnings and guidelines before using the jewelry cleaner.
- Wipe the jewelry to remove the dust particles before using cleaners.
- Use only gem jewelry cleaners to clean gem stones.
- Avoid using house hold cleaning methods unless you are sure of the result.
- Use soft cloth to dry and clean the metal jewelry after cleaning will help in evoking more luster and shine.
There are many such ingredients that are used regularly, to clean jewels at home. But seldom we come to know about the effects of such uses on jewelry. No doubt about the fact that these ingredients are not only easy to use they actually give our jewelry the much needed shine and luster. However, there are some problems that one needs to understand and know before using them on the jewelry.
Using Ammonia is one of the most common sights at any household. It is a well accepted as a good cleaning agent. But the fact is using ammonia regularly will weaken the metal and it will start breaking in few years.
- Using toothpaste as a cleaning agent is also very common. But toothpaste unfortunately contains many abrasives and bleaches. As a result the metal and gems will start looking dull after few uses.
- Using household cleaner also damage jewels extensively. These chemicals may slowly erode metal finishes and plating while degrading gemstone treatments and polishes.
Using home cleaners thus is only advisable with adequate knowledge about the product.