Awnings are secondary exterior coverings, which are attached to the outside building walls. Egyptians and Syrians initially use them and in later years, it began to spread all over the world. They are made of canvas or acrylic cotton or polyester fabric, which are tightly stretched over a structure of aluminium, iron, steel or wood. They are used to prevent light entering from the exterior side of the building.
Use of materials in Awnings is not common or suitable for all weather conditions. Cotton covering or polyester covering are suitable for areas of pleasant weathers. For extreme weather conditions such as, snowfall and wind, cotton coverings are not enough and they fail to sustain over long periods. In such conditions, metal coverings are used since they are strong and vulnerable to weather conditions listed above.
Various types of awnings, their characteristics and usage are given below:
- Awnings are may be either fixed or retractable. Awnings that are retractable helps user to control them, based on weather conditions. User can unroll them under heavy rain or sunlight. It has been proved that, these protective covering usage will result in decrease in the level of the temperature by 20% in the area below them.
- Material below the covering such as carpets or the secondary covering will prevent the fading of the carpets due to heavy sunlight. The reduction in temperature helps to save air conditioning costs.
- Area under which it is covered enable children to play around and it also acts as a temporary shelter for pet animals.
- Awnings manufactures coverings, which are added with a sheet on the sides of them. These sheets are transparent and bug free. Hence, one can use the protected place without any discomfort from external factors.
- These protective coverings come as manually retractable or motorized retractable. Manual retracting coverings are easily operated according to user’s thoughts and needs. They come with vertical support. This vertical support helps in supporting over strong winds.
- Motorized coverings in which the retraction is done by using a remote control or using a wall mounted switch. However, these motorized type does not came with the vertical support. Metal covering is directly retracted from the wall.
- Major problem that causes heavy damage to the awnings is wind. Now a days wind sensors are implemented which makes them to retract automatically before occurrence of heavy wind.
Modern types of these shelters are attractive and beautiful. People who need temporary extension find this very useful. They provide extra functionality as well beauty to the entire place.
This blog has been written by Harry Caesar – an expert writer, blogger and shared his experience by providing innovative and useful information which help readers to get more idea. Click here to get more information about Awnings.