Summer means longer and hotter days. So, you can plan for barbeque days near the beach. However, due to high temperature there is always a risk of fire particularly in Australia. Most of the houses in Australia are at higher risk of fire because of bush fire season.
Particularly, those houses located near the bushland areas will be under greater threat, as embers coming from bush fires may start a fire also in your home because of the presence of debris built up in the gutter.
Any house fire can always be started from embers of any other fire up to 5 kms. away, and almost 90 per cent of house fires have started from certain distant embers. Therefore, even if you are too far away from bush fire, still you are at risk.
How to guard your home from such fire?
Surely, it is very important to keep your home protected from fire, particularly during this bush fire season. One of the simplest and easiest ways of fire shield for your home would be to install fire rated gutter guard on your roof.
These gutter guards will act as a barrier that will stop debris from accumulating in the gutters, as they are made from high quality and fire-rated materials.
Though just by installing a gutter guard mesh may not protect your house completely from all types of fire, however it will be your best bet to eliminate the risk of fire associated with any build-up of dry debris.
Actually, the build-up of debris and flying embers will act as fuel for igniting it into a massive fire. By reducing the debris, you can reduce your risk. Few other methods of fire protection methods may include:
- Try to grow wherever possible, few mature trees by locating them strategically to shield against any embers and radiant heat.
- Keep all the grass cut regularly.
- Keep all flammable items at far-away place from decks or nearby areas of your home.
- Try to avoid using in your garden any flammable mulch and prefer to use rocks or pebbles.
- Make sure that no logs are located directly under windows.
- Try to store firewood far away from your house.
- Remove all dry leaves, sticks, bark, grass and weeds.
- Keep well pruned all your shrubs and plants.
- Ensure that you have functioning fire alarms inside the house and also suitable fire extinguisher.
- You must prepare a proper fire survival plan.
Protect your home as well as yourself
For prevention of fires on outside of your home, gutter guards are important, but they will not be the only defence. You need to consider number of other things too.
By installing full protector system for gutter can also eliminate the need of cleaning your gutters every week, and save your time and money.
Often climbing up in a ladder for cleaning your gutters sometimes can be too tedious job and dangerous as well.